Any gearbox gurus.....

2drdan

Hi all, anyone got ideas about this new noise please......

Just completed install of 200 Tdi, replaced the bush in the flywheel to accomodate LT95 and used conversion plate to mate engine/g'box....no probs there. Used all new clutch components inc thrust bearing.

At idle when starting first time after it's been sitting (ie it's cold), there is nothing unusual. However after driving half a mile or so once I come to a stop and idle again there is a very metallic rattle similar to rattling a spanner in a tube (like playing a triangle).

The noise stops when the clutch is depressed and gets slowly louder or softer if you press the pedal down slowly to disengage / engage the clutch........

Any ideas gratefully heard!

Phil.

It's a 1980 LT95 with OD, leaks a bit at the moment too....

I've had two LT95 gearboxes which made lots of noise as the revs increase not quite the same I know, however the LT95 has an extension tube for the clutch release baring to slide on (this is due to it being designed for the LR 101 which has a shorter bellhousing - ask a comp safari racer) I think my noise is due the the extension tube moving as it is only a slide on fit. it might be that your noise is caused by the same problem but in a different form??

Does this sound kosher or am I talking B%$!"*ks? :unsure:

both of my gearboxes work fine but are a bit noisy.

Well that sounds plausable as it works ok just sounds like a tin with a spanner in at idle!! noisy enough to make othr LR owners wince at me when sat next to me in traffic... :o

It would make sense as nothing has changed, it's just been disconnected from the V8, left a few days then re-connected to the Tdi......could be a fraction too far away leaving a gap for this tube to take up with rattle too, trouble is when I first started on this project there didn't seem to be many, if any, who'd kept this box onto a Tdi!!

:blink:

Cheerz

FWIW, a lot of noise from LT95's comes from the high/low selector finger (for want of a better name). The end of this finger has a plastic sleeve where it engages the shift fork. The plastic breaks up with age and falls off. The metal to metal contact (and extra slop) causes the noise.

Some oil resistant plastic tube can be pushed onto the end of the finger to repair it and reduce much noise.

FWIW, a lot of noise from LT95's comes from the high/low selector finger (for want of a better name). The end of this finger has a plastic sleeve where it engages the shift fork. The plastic breaks up with age and falls off. The metal to metal contact (and extra slop) causes the noise.

Some oil resistant plastic tube can be pushed onto the end of the finger to repair it and reduce much noise.

Will that still be affected by whether or not there is pressure on the clutch adn it's associated mechanisms?? Cheeers for info.

Will that still be affected by whether or not there is pressure on the clutch adn it's associated mechanisms?? Cheeers for info.

It can change the frequency, amplitude of any vibrations that may cause the selector to vibrate and create the noise.

Although I won't be surprised if your problem is elsewhere, I do know that fitting some plastic tube over the end of the selector finger will, if the original tip has broken, reduce a lot of noise from the LT95.

All good info chaps cheers,

It didn't do it before conversion but it is related to frequency and whether or not it's under load, i did try all the combinations that give a neutral with the clutch engaged but no change.

In first at tick over speeds if I give it a light blip the noise will occur on run down until drive is taken up again and can be heard at a lower volume in the first 1000 rpm (until exploding air and diesel take over the manuscript), this would seem to support the hi/low finger theory but it is a heavy sound more like the clutch fork......but AFAIK it wouldn't work correctly if it had that much play in it?!

:ph34r:

All good info chaps cheers,

It didn't do it before conversion but it is related to frequency and whether or not it's under load, i did try all the combinations that give a neutral with the clutch engaged but no change.

In first at tick over speeds if I give it a light blip the noise will occur on run down until drive is taken up again and can be heard at a lower volume in the first 1000 rpm (until exploding air and diesel take over the manuscript), this would seem to support the hi/low finger theory but it is a heavy sound more like the clutch fork......but AFAIK it wouldn't work correctly if it had that much play in it?!

:ph34r:

If this is totaly off the mark then apologies but I tend to agree with the clutch area.

What would happen if the clutch release bearing came off the retaining spring which holds it on to the clutch actuator fork? This could provide the rattle but presumably it would also make a horrible noise when the pedal is pressed?

I am really just speculating, 2drdan have you asked someone from Ashcrofts or similar?

Marc

2drdan,what make of clutch did you use?

I just fitted an AP clutch kit to my 300 with lt77,and am experiencing some nasty clattering noises when depressing the pedal.

Someone I know fitted an AP clutch kit to his 200 disco two weeks ago,and his has a strange rattle.

Don't know what is doing it,but if you get to the bottom of it let me know.

Hi, I think this is what I would term 'clutch rattle',

from our web site :

My gearbox rattles on idle, in neutral, with the clutch up

This is very common on both the 200 and the 300 TDi engined vehicles. The clutch friction plate has a ring of springs, which are there to soften the knock of the diesel engine to stop it being transmitted to the driveline. Often especially with a new clutch these springs are quite tight and a lot of the engine knock goes through to the gearbox and makes the gears "chatter" together when the box is in neutral and the clutch up, it goes when the clutch is depressed. This can sound quite bad and does vary from car to car but is not detrimental to the life of the gearbox and we view it as an undesirable characteristic of the LT 77 and R 380 as opposed to a fault with either the gearbox or the clutch.

Hi, I think this is what I would term 'clutch rattle',

from our web site :

My gearbox rattles on idle, in neutral, with the clutch up

This is very common on both the 200 and the 300 TDi engined vehicles. The clutch friction plate has a ring of springs, which are there to soften the knock of the diesel engine to stop it being transmitted to the driveline. Often especially with a new clutch these springs are quite tight and a lot of the engine knock goes through to the gearbox and makes the gears "chatter" together when the box is in neutral and the clutch up, it goes when the clutch is depressed. This can sound quite bad and does vary from car to car but is not detrimental to the life of the gearbox and we view it as an undesirable characteristic of the LT 77 and R 380 as opposed to a fault with either the gearbox or the clutch.

Ah ha! (take it this still applies to the LT95..?) Thanks, 'should've perhaps looked at your site more closely....!? That would also fit in with the noise occuring under no load at low revs/ run down......Not quite the way I wanted to turn heads but hey ......

Thanks for the help. :)