What 'period' winch would you fit and why?

Jim-Bob

that business has been there for several years , used to be very reasonable prices , think it must be new owners

Tacr2man I've just noticed your location...your just round the corner from me?!

Have you been there before, looks like their yard would be a good place to have a wander round...maybe leave the wallet at home though!

James

Hi there,

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd post my question on here so I don't clog the forum. I have a 200TDi converted, 1981 SIII 109" Station wagon. Standard 4 speed with overdrive.

I have sitting in my shed an Aeroparts MKII capstan winch - 4,000Lbs I think. The problem I have is:

1. I have no linkage for it, not even the UJ...
  2. If i did have a linkage, it wouldn't fit the longer pulley and cam belt casing on the front of the 200TDi engine in the now shorter space

So, how do I drive the winch? I don't intend for it to be recovering me during Camel Trophy-esque off roading events. Green-laning is my thing. I don't want to fit the winch for aesthetic purposes; if it's fitted, it must work. I therefore have to come up with some different drive options, and I'd like to achieve broadly similar performance in terms of line pull.

I'm considering a few options:

1. Electric motor re-power. I may be able to fabricate a simple bracket to mount the motor - the motor would sit in the PTO hole in the front cross-member
  2. Hydraulic re-power. A hydraulic motor linked to the winch in the same way as mentioned above, but with an over-drive I'm limited to running a pump on the engine. There's no PAS on the vehicle, so there's a spare 'space' to re-fit a PAS pump off a disco. But is it man enough? Perhaps a larger pump can be fitted? I then need some means of bypass, control etc. I could also fit a pup in the space on top of the IP. With those nice M10 bolt holes to use. But then I need to drive it...
  3. Get rid of the Aeroparts winch and put a 'period' electric one on. If any one can steer me toward one...
  4. There's no possibility of g'box PTO winches.

Cheers,

Alec

Company called HNJ engineering make a drive dog and longer bolt to fit the 200tdi crankshaft .

I have what I believe is a Aeroparts capstan fitted to my landrover.

I made some of the drive parts but had the UJ.

I believe a defender steering UJ would be adapable.

I have some drawings of other parts I made up for the disengagement linkage.

Drive member

http://www.hnjengineering.co.uk/pages/products/capstan/fairey_capstan.html#metricdog

DSCF2738_zpsf989f974.jpg

Longer bolt

http://www.hnjengineering.co.uk/pages/products/capstan/fairey_capstan.html#tdiscrew

DSCF1661_zpsc361be07.jpg

Shear pins

DSCF1655_zps9861e792.jpg

DSCF1654_zpsbe2d335a.jpg

DSCF1653_zps70196d68.jpg

Tacr2man I've just noticed your location...your just round the corner from me?!

Have you been there before, looks like their yard would be a good place to have a wander round...maybe leave the wallet at home though!

James

It was about 2 year to 18 months back , they had a few series and defender, and the prices were quite reasonable , but they tended to be at the more scrappy end of quality , but ok for the price , but believe the business has new operators , its in a shed on a farm , might be worth a trip its not far .

about 4 miles :) keep your eyes open

I've just noticed an interesting period drum winch on the Rocky Mountain Spares website...

http://rockymountainspares.co.uk/shop/?orderby=popularity

Twin hydraulic motors on the front of a lightweight.

That is a beaut! Bet it weighs a fair bit though!

Anyone recognise what make it is?

It was about 2 year to 18 months back , they had a few series and defender, and the prices were quite reasonable , but they tended to be at the more scrappy end of quality , but ok for the price , but believe the business has new operators , its in a shed on a farm , might be worth a trip its not far .

about 4 miles :) keep your eyes open

Ah fair enough, might head over in the new year if I get a free Saturday.

I'm closer than you think...trying to think if I've seen your fleet sat on a drive locally?! Junction 10 is only 2 minutes away ;)

James

• 2 weeks later...

I've pondered on this over the years. To me, the modern electric winches just don't look right on an Series. If I could find a period capstan or drum winch at a sensible price, I might be tempted. That said, I've had the S! for twenty years and have never been in a situation that my Tirfor couldn't get me out of.

I'm pretty sure a good tirfor will get more done than any winch only it will take time and muscle.

My choice also is a tirfor with a 1.6 ton lifting capacity. Meaning it will pull about 4 times that before the shear pin breaks... ~6.4 tonnes should be plenty to get my SIII out of nasty stuff. 1.6 tonnes might even be just enough to park my SIII 15 meters high in a tree.

I've got a 15M cable and a 9 meter normal 4x4 towing strap. Combined with 2 2meter tree straps and some good D Shackles it should get all jobs done.

Good thing is you can just pop it into any car at wish :)

and the best:

- it doesn't mess up the looks of the car (althoug a capstain is coool)

- it costed me only 80 Euro's second hand (which is quite a bargain, but for 150 you should find one)