is it dead?

Nigelw

Whilst shuffling stuff in the garage I managed to knock my second spare on its side, normally not a problem but it landed on a bit of wood with a nail in, and in it went :(

This is leaking air from the middle of the sidewall, but is it now scrap or can it be patched from inside? Tyre is still 75% good tread and it'd be a shame to have to throw it away!

My gut says scrap but I don't really know?

Not a definite answer but my local ATS will not repair a puncture which is outside of the middle 65% of the tread band and I think for cars it might be 60% but thats only a few mm difference really.

So if I took it there they would say no.

Depending on the tyre and what you are using it for I suppose at a push you could tube it.

As previous posts sidewall repairs are a no no , unless proper vulcanised repair which unless you know a friendly ag tyre guy with the right equipment is BER . The simplest answer is just stick a tube in it , it will have fabric sidewall plies so no need to use a gaiter on tube , just make sure you buff out any QC labels on inside of casing , just pulling stickers off will be no good as the glue causes the tube to perish and will cause a hole with resulting slow leaks.

Does not putting a tube in it depend on whether the wheel will accept tubes? I understand alloys on Discoverys should not have tubes.

Some years ago I took a punctured tyre on a Discovery alloy wheel to be mended without taking care to see what they were doing. They put a tube in which subsequently burst while I was doing 60 on the A14. The fact that they had used a 14inch tube in a 16 inch wheel did not help.

putting a 14" tube in a 16" wheel will have been the ONLY reason that it failed. ive run tubes inside insa turbo dakars on disco alloys for over a year of both hard offroad and long distance on road ( once 200 miles with a p38 on a trailer behind) with no issues.