Better handbrake in a Series 1

z4cAtS

Don't belive so, I went with X-Brake! If Defender is like RRC type brake then it is much deeper so it needs a deeper output flange on the transfer box IIRC?

What is your reason for going Defender is it cost or strength?

As I have 3:54 diffs so the std brake does not hold on very steep hills.

What S1 do you have? When I got my new brake it did not fit correctly, I spoke to SimonR on here and he replaced the main mounting plate with a new one as some S1 transfer boxes are a couple of mm longer than others!

The real problem, I believe, is that the handbrake just pulls the engine/gearbox against the ageing rubber mounts and takes most of the effectiveness out if everything isn't perfect. The brake itself is plenty strong enough. I'd imagine getting the Defender cable setup to fit would provide enough of a solution, though I've never tried it personally!

I have an S1 88" with a Rover 3.5 mated to a S1 gearbox (dipstick) and a Salisbury rear axle.

Not great photos, but they give an idea.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN7bBLh30dOWhW_E3ZFbXdwBGb_ZYqVhfBXtyF8byyZpXnobUahnm21cMGpDfVL2g?key=ZzFvLTk1OHNic3gtLUdTS3dNM2hXeDhwNmU0d0ZR

What I need is a handbrake I can rely on when I fail a climb. It looks like I have room for the deeper brake unit.

I cleaned up the brake mechanism last year, but it isn't good enough.

I will be doing a rebuild either on a new chassis or possibly repairing the grot (you can see some on the close up picture on the left side of the chassis rail) if I can convince myself it is worth saving.

What I am after is something that will survive being trialled on a regular basis.

Thanks

All you need is the longitudinal tie rod Ed mentioned - it is a steel rod that connects a bracket on the bell housing to the cross member under the back end of the gear box, with rubber bushes at each end, that prevents the fore-aft movement of the engine and transmission when the brake is applied. It more than doubled my brake effectiveness when I installed one. It was standard on MoD LRs but optional for civil. Dunsfold Land Rover will have all the parts, I'm sure, and it won't cost much money or time to fit.

Because it's on flexible rubber mounts, and the hand brake mechanism dropping down from the lever becomes a 'pull' movement and that drags the whole lot towards the crank rigidly mounted on the chassis. Used to raise the revs of my Series 3 by about 300rpm when the hand brake was applied hard enough to hold it on a hill

With a V8 the killer is going to 3.54 diffs as this affects the effort required to hold the brake still when the diff acts as a multiplier!

X-Brake does two things, improves thegripping force and removes the oil trap which is the very thing that must not get oil on it!

Marc

ej, do you have an X-brake on yours?

I do yes. Got fed up with trying to sort out my original brake, although that was mostly the fault of a transfer box that needed rebuilding, on account of a PO who sheared the end off the shaft, and decided to weld the output flange to the shaft. Total effect was of a speedo drive gear that was loose, a shaft that floated around, and no means to adjust the end float, with a knackered seal to boot that couldn't be changed!

It's odd but I've never had a problem with mine. I've always found the handbrake very effective.

I don't trial it though.

The original brake on The 109 was also very good, never had any trouble with that. Having swapped to an LT230 I've got the defender brake but it isn't as good, though that might be something to do with my hybrid linkage. I've got an X Eng brake for that now too, just waiting on a rebuilt LT230 and then I'll swap the lot in one go