another rear wiper motor story

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2016 at 12:53 PM, western said:

opened up the original motors park switch, I don't know if any one has done it before.

1st photo the internals

all plain colour wires.

brown

green

black

the plug end which matches pre 300tdi vehicles has 5 wires

2 x black = earth for motor & park switch on one pin

red = 12v feed to motor

green = signal from dash switch to park switch

brown = 12v feed from dash switch to park switch

to connect to the later motor. [300tdi on]

red = to motor

black to motor & park switch earth

green to park switch White/green

brown to park switch brown/light green

post-20-0-59948400-1453063620_thumb.jpg

Hallelujiha, the thread has risen again, and I'm mega befudled!  I've just taken my rear motor park switch apart, and it looks just like yours, above.  What I can't understand is why the incoming brown wire (live) is connected to the black wire (earth) when the button is pushed up.  It appears that the gear box cannot be taken apart, since it is rivetted together, so at what stage of shaft rotation is the button raised or lowered?  How does this switch work?

Mike

To close this out, here's what I've done.  I couldn't get the park switch to operate so I opened the gear case - rivets no problem for Mr. Drill.  I had already opened the park switch.  Firstly I cleaned all the old grease out so that I could see what was happening.  Running the motor and carefully watching the contacts in the park switch I could see that they were not being opened by the pin.  After taking many measurements I decided that the cam on the inside of the plastic gear wheel was about 1mm too low, so I made a shaped steel shim 1.25mm thick to fit over the plastic cam, glued it on with Araldite, and I now have a fully working rear wiper.  BTW I also removed the earth wire from the park switch.

Since I'm totally replacing the original electrical wiring this is my rear wiper circuit.

image.png.8ae3167a90f8f90e02461856868bb17c.png

I'm sure the above will generate some comments.  Feel free, I've got thick skin and broad shoulders!

Mike