Verify Mileage if your odometer looses its display

Hi. Is it possible to confirm the mileage from the ECU if your odometer has stopped displaying the mileage

Defender V8 anniversary.

Has any one got a cost effective solution to this problem. I've been told that part number AMR 5721 is Land Rover only at a cool £428 + VAT plus programming if its possible

Thanks George

Hi. Is it possible to confirm the mileage from the ECU if your odometer has stopped displaying the mileage

Defender V8 anniversary.

Has any one got a cost effective solution to this problem. I've been told that part number AMR 5721 is Land Rover only at a cool £428 + VAT plus programming if its possible

Thanks George

Thanks Mike

I believe you have a NAS Defender? The NAS speedos were different to the English ones that look the same. On yours there is a flexible pcb ribbon cable linking the display to the main circuit board, over the years this fails leaving you with no display. Repairs can be done and your mileage will be correctly displayed once more.

If my assumption about you being in America is correct then your best bet is to contact East Coast Rover who when I last looked did a repair service for this fault.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/speedo.html

I believe you have a NAS Defender? The NAS speedos were different to the English ones that look the same. On yours there is a flexible pcb ribbon cable linking the display to the main circuit board, over the years this fails leaving you with no display. Repairs can be done and your mileage will be correctly displayed once more.

If my assumption about you being in America is correct then your best bet is to contact East Coast Rover who when I last looked did a repair service for this fault.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/speedo.html

No my defender is uk. The rear of the speedo has a multi cable plug very similar to a TD5 but with less wires. There is no ribbon cable

Hmm, I thought that part number quoted was the same part number as the 1997 NAS 90's. If it is then I imagine the problem is exactly the same. http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=AMR5721

But if you have opened it up, checked inside the speedometer and there is no ribbon cable then I am wrong. If the speedometer is instead built like a TD5 speedometer I'd say the only thing that would stop the lcd working (assuming the rest of the speedo does work) would be the connections between the lcd and pcb need cleaning. I've not yet seen a TD5 speedo with a malfunctioning screen though.

Hmm, I thought that part number quoted was the same part number as the 1997 NAS 90's. If it is then I imagine the problem is exactly the same. http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=AMR5721

But if you have opened it up, checked inside the speedometer and there is no ribbon cable then I am wrong. If the speedometer is instead built like a TD5 speedometer I'd say the only thing that would stop the lcd working (assuming the rest of the speedo does work) would be the connections between the lcd and pcb need cleaning. I've not yet seen a TD5 speedo with a malfunctioning screen though.

I've not opened up the back of the speedo so i have miss quoted that there is no ribbon cable. i thought it was meant the ribbon cable was visible looking at the back of the speedo. I might take it to bits and see if the ribbon cable needs cleaning.

Here's the picture I was on about

post-25689-0-19704000-1453667450_thumb.jpg

The arrows are pointing to the ribbon cable, in the case of the ribbon cable it cracks the conductors and stops working, I believe East Coast Rover had new cables produced.

The TD5 speedos which are similar VDO items require you to uncrimp the back of the black metal ring that holds the glass in to take them apart.

There are some pictures of me doing this to a TD5 speedo on this post http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69070&page=12#entry594115

I don't know if it is the same for your speedo but I'd guess it was similar.

Here's the picture I was on about

attachicon.gifDSC04090.jpg

The arrows are pointing to the ribbon cable, in the case of the ribbon cable it cracks the conductors and stops working, I believe East Coast Rover had new cables produced.

The TD5 speedos which are similar VDO items require you to uncrimp the back of the black metal ring that holds the glass in to take them apart.

There are some pictures of me doing this to a TD5 speedo on this post http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69070&page=12#entry594115

I don't know if it is the same for your speedo but I'd guess it was similar.

Thanks for your help

If you get stuck you are more than welcome to pop it in the post for me to have a look at. So long as you cover postage.

Thanks for that. Not sure what to do at the mo. If i knew you could verify the mileage from the ECU i wouldn't be worried about it. Do you know if the ECU can ??

Reading the East Coast Rover pages about mileage fraud on NAS Defenders it would be reasonable to assume that the only place the mileage is stored is within the speedometer head unit. The mileage anti tampering protection of storing in the ECU is a more modern thing and I doubt present in your vehicle.

If your failure is the display and caused by the broken cable then the mileage in your head unit will be correct and still clocking up as normal, you just can't see it. It will be possible to read that out even if the head unit can't be fixed, it will be stored on a small eeprom soldered to the circuit board that I have the tools to read here.

Mr CwazyWabbit - please can you help me?

I generally get help from the Discovery forum but in having a general 'mooch' about I came across this Defender topic.

Apologies for raising a marine instrument problem but it looks to be very similar.

The rev counter on my boat incorporates an hourmeter with the engine hours run shown digitally.

Some while ago the digits disappeared, to reappear for a few moments before disappearing again - it now looks as if they've gone for good.

It was suggested to me that the problem was caused by damp but putting the instrument in the airing cupboard has not cured the problem.

I wonder if the problem is caused by a broken cable - to which you refer?

Although badged Volvo-Penta the markings on the back of the instrument show Siemens VDO - I could send photos but I don't know how to attach them to this topic.

I'd be most grateful for any help you could give me.

Hello sir, without knowing the instrument in question it is possible it is a broken cable but it may also be caused by damp, even if you have dried the instrument out there may be some corrosion present on the circuit board.

Photos can be attached to a message thread using the more reply options button and would probably help.