New style TDci clutch pedal confusion...

Hey all,

I've just fitted a new clutch pedal assembly to my 90, which has been taken from a 2010 vehicle. It's all bled up and working, but I've got a couple of teething problems I could do with help on.

I'm used to setting pedal heights and pushrod clearances etc on normal defender pedals, but this new one doesn't have a pedal height set screw in the back. Instead it has a travel limiting stop screw at the bottom of the pedal box. There seems to be limited info online about this latest setup, but from what I can gather, the pedal height is now to be adjusted using just the pushrod lock nuts. That in itself is fine and straight forward, but in doing that, there isn't any way at all to set the 1.5mm pushrod clearance. The spring force of the pedal will therefore mean the pushrod is held/pulled firmly out, as far away from the master cylinder piston as possible??

Has anyone had to set one of these dam things up and can clear up the "grey area" for me?

Thanks in advance,

James

2007 on clutch pedal assembly, looks the same as my 300tdi unit http://lrcat.com/#30/4/45162

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/167355/5497/pedal___clutch

my tdci workshop manuals give me this info for seeting the pedal height note it is 10mm LESS than earlier models

11 . Check distance from lower edge of clutch pedal to down position. Correct measurement is 135 mm (5.31 ins)

12 . Adjust master cylinder push rod lock nuts and nylon nut untill 135mm (5.31 in) is achieved.
1) Tighten lock nuts.
2) Tighten nylon nut securing push rod to clutch pedal trunnion
13 . Check pedal travel is to correct measurement
even the diagrams are the same as pre tdci models. quite possible whoever wrote the manual has missed a bit of the operation out.
try setting it as for earlier models but do the pedal height to 135mm instead of 146mm

Thanks western, this is the confusing thing about it, the travel stop bolt is in contact with the pedal when in the down position, so the overall travel of the stroke can be adjusted using this limit screw, or the locknuts, or both, ohhhh my head hurts with it all now.....

Yeah that's my confusion, I've got a workshop manual for pre-tdci, but this 2010 pedal is a different setup to the earlier ones. The end stop bolt isn't for setting pedal height as its mounted below the pivot point. It's literally there to set how far away from the bulkhead the pedal stops when pressed down.

On that basis, the pedal height seems to be pre-set, and the travel stop bolt just limits the overall stroke of the pedal regardless of whether the system is bled or not.

Yeah that's my confusion, I've got a workshop manual for pre-tdci, but this 2010 pedal is a different setup to the earlier ones. The end stop bolt isn't for setting pedal height as its mounted below the pivot point. It's literally there to set how far away from the bulkhead the pedal stops when pressed down.

On that basis, the pedal height seems to be pre-set, and the travel stop bolt just limits the overall stroke of the pedal regardless of whether the system is bled or not.

all the photo's of the latest pedal asembly seem to show the previous version for 300tdi/Td5 vehicles.

Britcar website only shows this photo of the latest pedal, note the stop screw isn't visible

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/167355/0/pedal___clutch

but Paddocks have this photo which shows the screw position,

http://www.paddockspares.com/pedal-clutch.html

I didn't realise they were different

I know, I didn't realize either until I came to fit it yesterday to my 200tdi.

I've got it all in and got a good pedal there but it's a right head bender to understand the actual correct method for this one, and I would like to set it up properly really.

My apologies Mo, I completely missed your post up there, I was on a breakdown till 4 this morning and then cracked on with Landy jobs today lol. to be fair, that's exactly what I've done with it and it feels good so far.

As western says, the old system worked perfectly well and I could make this the same just by drilling a hole and welding an M8 plain nut to the box but there must be an updated method the change of design somewhere... Who knows why!

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2016 at 11:21 AM, Mo Murphy said:

You can't set the pedal height with the stop screw.

Set pedal height with the push rod nut then use the other nut to give you your 1/4" free play.

Mo

???

Just got one of these fancy new pedal boxes.  The screw limits maximum travel.  There is no adjustment for resting pedal height.

There is adjustment of the height but it’s via a different method. On later pedals the height is set purely by the adjustment of the locknuts on the master cylinder rod. Wind the pedal trunnion further out along the rod and it raises the pedal, wind it in towards the cylinder and it lowers it. Set it at the correct position based on pedal height off the floor and then nip up the locknuts.

The lack of a height setting screw like previous models means that when at rest the cylinder rod is always held in the fully out position by the pedal spring. As such there is always some free play between the end of the rod and the cylinder piston itself and so there should not be any reason to introduce further free play by leaving a gap between the trunnion and the locknuts. Mine has about 1” of freeplay in total, some of that is slack between the pedal shaft and the trunnion and the rest between the pushrod and master cylinder itself.

However check there is still 1/4” of freeplay at the pedal before pressure is felt, if there isn’t then introduce a small amount of extra slack by winding the locknuts in a bit.

Yah.  He was making it sound as if you could set pedal height and freeplay separately.

I'm not really thrilled with putting constant tension on the rod and an impact every time the pedal is let out.  And then you can't set free play independently.  I just went and added an adjustable up stop.  Took 5 minutes.  The stop plate is still on the pedal itself.  They just stopped putting the screw on the box.

IMG_0122.JPG