Disco 300tdi and disco r380 into 2.5td 90

Hi guys

I'm sure this has been covered many times before but could someone give me an exact list of what is required to do the above?

Also is it possible to position the gearbox so that the gear levers come up in the same place as in a defender and also the same way round?

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks landroversforever

I've read about converting the box but I'm struggling to find an itemised list of what's needed,

So far I've got:

1. Short belgousing

2. Remote housing

3. Short input shaft

But I'm led to believe there's more needed?

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be most helpful.

Thanks

Jamie

I looked into it when I did mine. If you fit the 300 tdi in the same position as it is in a 300 series defender then you do not need a short bell housing. It also makes fitting the turbo, exhaust, oil cooler pipes and intercooler pipework a simple matter if you use 300 tdi chassis-engine mounts.

HOWEVER>>>> to get the gear sticks on the disco to work like on a defender is a ballache. You will need to change the selector shaft (if you can get hold of one) by splitting the box and change the remote housing. I have seen someone modify the selector in situ but needs great skill with a welder IIRC. In the end I didn't bother and worked around it by embracing the Disco gearsticks and modified the interior, the tunnel and seating position in my older 110 to match. The final result is, in my opinion, a nicer place to be and better driving experience than a standard Defender. More elbow room, more leg room, shorter gearstick throw and more comfortable position, and a neat centre consule for storgae of phones and other assorted carp. Pics and more in my thread from a few years back

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=79226&hl=itch

All you need to convert the disco box to have a defender like gearstick is to fit a kit from Ashcroft and then fit the defender remote housing, it takes about ten minutes with the box on the floor

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/diy-rebuild-kits/r380-rebuild-kits/selector-rail-adapter-yolk.html

Other than that, you have the option to mount the gearbox to the existing mountings and retain your current propshafts but have to make engine mounts and have a bit more hassle with the pipework around the engine, or you can mount the whole lot in the defender 300tdi position but you'll need new props and probably a gearbox crossmember

Ahha, so Ashcroft are now making a converter. Was about time someone came up with a simple solution to a common problem. Good on them.

And yes, I forgot about the needing new props and cross member issue fitting the 300 in the correct position. Still a better option and easier than sorting a short bellhousing R380

Cheers guys

I was speaking to my dad and he's pretty taken with fitting it in the standard 300tdi position, may be a bit more work to start with but should mean I can use more off the short parts in the future, what's involved in doing that?

Thanks

So as we are fitting 300tdi engine and disco box, welding the original 300tdi mountings on and fitting the disco xmember it's just a case of extending propshafts, probably a couple of pipes to modify and fit the adapter from Ashcrofts, problem is serve got nothing from the LT77 gearbox so what do we need to get to go onto the disco box? TIA

As we are fitting the complete 300tdi and disco R380 then we need to fit Ashcroft conversion piece, drill and fit xmember so gearsticks are in correct position, fit engine and weld on new brackets, as we've sold the LT77 gearbox what else will we need? Sticks, remote? What do you use to fix xmember to chassis, not looking at it but don't think can get behind to put buy on? After all located then just sort propshafts out and most likely p'steering pipes as different threads? TIA

Few mistakes, predictive spelling! No idea how to edit!

Been doing some more research and can't seem to get a definite answer, if the gearbox has the adapter, and if the disco engine and box are both fitted with the gear levers located in the existing tunnel cutout will the engine be in the 300tdi position or not? Some say it will others say if the engine is in the 300tdi position the levers with the mod will still need the tunnel modifying.

You may have your job cut out by fitting the gearbox onto your existing LT77 mounts and positioning the engine according to the position of the gearbox. It will sit about 2 inches further back but all pipework, etc will fit. You'll also be able to retain your existing floor panels and gearbox tunnel as well as your existing propshaft. The viscous fan will sit snugly in the standard Defender 300tdi cowl too.

Thanks for reply Reiny, I'm thinking of removing lt77 mounts and using the disco xmember, locating the gear levers in existing tunnel hole, securing disco xmember to chassis and then fitting engine, just not sure if engine will be too far forward, I've read that it will fit, others say if the engine is in standard 300tdi position then the gear levers still won't fit in tunnel so don't want to start fitting gearbox to find out engine is too far forward!