2.5 non turbo deisel start up

rollmeover11

I recently bought a series 3 88" in good body order but have had a fair amount to do mechanically. Runs well now but for one problem. It is fitted with a 2.5 non turbo diesel with the following start up problem.

First thing whatever the weather, 30 seconds of heat, accel to the bulkhead and she fires up straight away but then stops. After a lot of cranking she will start and run well and starts and runs perfectly all day. Come next morning same problem. after initial start, no amount of heat will improve full start up. This is my first diesel and I have a lot to learn. Any help would be appreciated

Sounds like air in the fuel system. Sounds like it's starting on a residual amount in the pump and filter lines, but the filters draining overnight. Check all the fuel lines, check all the connections, if anything is in the least bit suspect, replace it.

On a transit 2.5di engine one would likely say air in the returnline bugging the injectors, but then a transit has no liftpump...

Air in fuel / fuel return lines is likely the cause.

(yeah yeah, I know it's not a transit forum ;) just trying to share some knowledge I've acquired over the years :) )

Try bleeding the injector pump before you even try to start it and see if starting behaviour changes. If your lift pump is good, that's not hard to do but pump for a while because air in the line may not show up immediately (i.e. if the leak isn't in the injector pump, it will initially just pump out fuel, not air).

If you do that, and it starts easily and continues to run, look for that air leak. If priming proves difficult in the first place, look for a problem with the lift pump or even a partially blocked intake line from the tank. I had terrible problems for a long time, finally traced to a bit of teflon tape in the selector valve (I have two fuel tanks).

You could also crack open an injector to let the air out. transit di owners tend to do this on the front cilinder (as the back of the van starts to hang this is the highest point).

If air comes out you do have a air leak somewhere to fix...

• 2 months later...