Squeak in the heater

BogMonster

Well not so much of a squeak, more of a horrific vibration when the fan was on. Discovery Td5.

I said I would have a look, thought it might be just fan blades touching something. Put the fan on, whoa, shake yourself to bits. Something odd going on here.

So after removing the glovebox and footwell trim I cut a bit out of the recirc intake on top of the heater box, and got my hand down in to the fan. Seems to turn freely, and the fan isn't dislodged. Feeling for broken blades, turned it by hand, all fine, then ... squish. WTF? Feel around a bit, something quite squidgy, feels odd. Maybe a melted wine gum or something, how the hell did it get in there though....

I finally managed to get a mirror and torch into position where I could see into the fan through the intake on the top - ah. That would be it... can't get it out though.

So this morning I took the fan out to remove:

post-33-0-29326700-1460636092_thumb.jpg

Nice :)

It's a new one on me, despite the fact I spent 15 years in a dealership!

I experienced exactly the same symptoms.

Fortunately, it wasn't a rodent that was the source.

It was a rectangular piece of foam rubber that appears to have fallen off a vent flap.

Judging by the 'clunk' whenever the fan is switched off the foam also acted as a damper on the flap.