disco 1 heater motor

OilIT

No suggestions but post pics when you do. Mine could do with coming out to lub the bearings.

GRR - not a simple job - you end up dismantling your whole dashboard... :(

OK, here goes

1. Remove centre console/gearbox tunnel plastics
  2. remove the sound deadening pad under dash on passengers side
  3. unscrew the three screws underneath and two up under where the sound deadening panel was to remove the glove tray on passengers side
  4. undo the panel under the drivers side steering wheel - two plastic screws (be very careful - mine was REALLY brittle
  5. remove heater knobs and unscrew facia that holds heater control, clock and cigar lighter - remove carefully - again be careful of the plastic which is tucked up underneath each footwell behind the main dash panel
    dash6.jpg
  6. you now need to unscrew the plastic shroud on the steering column and remove the top and bottom shrouds
  7. undo and remove the dash (speedo etc) surround and remove clocks completely
  8. Undo the four bolts holding the grab handle on (hidden under the rubber mat) and remove mat and handle.
  9. The dash is held to the 'a pillars' via a metal bracket underneath where your feet go and you need to remove the 2 x 7mm bolts on each side.
  10. if you look where the clocks were, you'll see two bolt heads going through the base of the dash - remove these two
    dash4.jpg
  11. on the passengers side, where the glove tray was, you will need to disconnect and remove the air vent pipes, and you will see two bolts that screw up through the metal dash base - remove these as well.
    dash1.jpg
  12. Remove the steering wheel and indicator stalk - unplug and it comes over over the column (to avoid breaking the switches)
  13. You should now be ready to give the dash a good tug from underneath the passengers side and you will find it will come away - whilst lifting it up towards the screen
  14. If you havent removed all the vent pipes they will hold it from coming away completely
  15. feed the wires from the speedo/clocks etc carefully through the dash aperture
  16. take dash out of car
  17. Big isnt it :D
  18. Now, looking at the heater, the motor is in the canister type looking area which is tucked up under the metal bodywork, so I have removed the whole heater (as follows) - somebody may tell you that you dont need to do this if you unscrew all the screws holding the plates on the ends of the cyliners - I chose not to test this as I wanted to look at the heater matrix as well
    dash5.jpg
  19. You will see at the top on each side of the heater a nut holding it to the bulkhead - undo these - and the ones about 5-6 inches below them
    dash7.jpg
    th_P1010085.jpg
  20. Undo the two pipes to the heater matrix (under the bonnet - passengers side)
    th_P1010086.jpg
  21. Once the jubilee clips are free, you can drain the coolant
  22. Once all coolant has come out, you can go back into the car and gently wiggle the whole heater towards you - make sure you pull it from the edge closest to the bulkhead or you may break the plastic housing - you will also need to pull off the two heater duct pipes that are connected to the bottom front corners of the heater unit that run along the underneath of the now removed centre console
  23. you will also need to make sure you lift the front bottom edge up to clear the bodywork around the gearbox tunnel - you may have to do this after pulling the top out from under the metal bodywork.
  24. assuming your jubilee clips are loose enough it should all come away towards you
  25. make sure you have disconnected all the wires going to the heater switches (the connectors pull off the back of the switches)
  26. there are also a couple of wires going to a solenoid looking device on the left hand side of the heater unit - remove these two (see picture in 27 below)
  27. Finally, there is a black pipe which goes to a tee piece on the heater - pull this off and you should be able to remove the whole heater.
    th_P1010085.jpg
  28. This gives you ability to take the heater assembly apart and do whatever you need to do

Hope this helps, I haven't put mine back in, but as haynes say - refitment is the reverse of removal :lol:

I have some pictures, if somebody can tell me how to post them permanently i am happy to do so.

regards

Jerry

Could be worse...having done the one in my truck, Jonathan talked me into buying a complete softdash to fit to it. He's now looking at the pile of bits in my garage and trying to persuade me it was a daft idea and I don't want to do it after all... (deal was he'd do the dash if I fitted EDIS ignition to his truck).

Not actually sure if it's possible, anyway - think the bulkheads might be different. They've certainly got holes in different places, but if that's all I can take care of that.

Could be worse...having done the one in my truck, Jonathan talked me into buying a complete softdash to fit to it. He's now looking at the pile of bits in my garage and trying to persuade me it was a daft idea and I don't want to do it after all... (deal was he'd do the dash if I fitted EDIS ignition to his truck).

Not actually sure if it's possible, anyway - think the bulkheads might be different. They've certainly got holes in different places, but if that's all I can take care of that.

Hmm, it took me about 3 hours from start to finish to get it out, not sure if there is any easier way - bar buying a thicker coat !!!

4 hour job for me including taking the heaterbox right apart on my first attempt. its as good a way as any to waste a day. what was really annoyin is i did this to find why my fan didnt blow. turned out to be the relay in the drivers kickpanel i didnt know about dispite asking on a forum (not this one) first.