2.25 petrol interest

Kierran.M.110

It's a question of when the benefits of having an engine that bolts in, has fifty years of experience in that chassis, good torque characteristics and proven ability are over whelmed by an engine that needs new engine mounts, plumbing, flywheel adapters, shorter spares cycles but quite a bit more power and torque, SL be it in the wrong place.

Though I wonder just how much it would impact on reliability? The TDI has quite a reputation for reliability, and is based on this block, and that has a timing belt, not a duplex chain. Coupled with modern oils and fuels I'd imagine the venerable old engine would last a long time running on mega squirt, especially without the problem of rich mixture washing away the oil on the bores.

Quite possibly, though my first suspect for failure would be the rings and the pistons -they always seemed to be made of cheese when I played with them, not likely to take to turbocharging too well :)

There was a kit available in the mid 80's - a club member did have one on a 2 1/4 in a 88" , considerably more power and torque from what I

can recall , can't comment on long term reliability but he had it in use for a couple of years. The max torque was further up the rev range so changed the driving style too

cheers

Steveb