Defender TD5 2006 front wipers

Hi all

I'm new to all this, so please bare with me.

Trying to fault find on front wiper problems. Started with fuse, stupidly replaced it and of course it blew again.

Suspect it's the relay as been having problems with parking wipers and the intermittent sweet was constant.

Being tight wanted to confirm motor was OK before changing relay, so took out top dash to reveal motor, intent on hot wiring to check motor.

Now faced with array of coloured wires and come to a stop as I'm more mechanical than electrical.

If I ignore the loom and go for the motor directly, which of red, yellow and blue do I take feed from battery to? I suspect red, but don't want to cause any damage...

Also, can I assume the earth is good or should I provide earth wire to battery too? If so, which colour and any particular sequence first?

Any help fearfully received. Ta.

Oops. Should have said any help gratefully received...

Update. Hot wired direct from pos on battery, wipers worked well, so, assume problem elsewhere.

Been reading up on location of relay for wipers, if what I've found is correct, it's part of the CCU? If this is the case, what's involved in replacing CCU and is his expensive? Should I consider just installing dash switch with inline fuse instead?

Welcome chugger old chap. The wiper relay is indeed a relay which you will find behind the clocks. Its a simple enough job to expose and replace it. A simple upgrade at this opportunity is to obtain a relay with variable intermittent wipe instead of the fixed interval and is a straight swap. A search for '99' relay on the Web will tell all ?

Good luck with it

Mo

Hi Mo. Thanks for both the welcome and the guidance. At the risk of pushing my luck, which of the 3 relays behind the clocks is the wiper one? Also, intrigued how to get variable intermittent wipe when stalk switch only has single position down for intermittent?

Finally, you figured that Old Chugger referred equally to me as the 90 ?

Cheers Mo ..

I've already replaced mine.... In the picture the one you want is where my "99" relay is....

post-1475-0-13505400-1465754880_thumb.jpeg

Happy hunting...

The intermittent gap is set but clicking down for intermittent, back up and wait for the duration you want. When screen wet / the gap you want is up, click down again and your intermittent wipe will be the gap you just set between the up and down movements...

(Does that make sense?)

Neil

Thanks Western, Neil and Mo. I located the pesky blighter and have one on order.

Decided to change a blown instrument lamp whilst I had it all out. Getting the little sod out of the carrier is a skill I haven't mastered yet. I think I'll just buy a new carrier and lamp? Halfords?

That's my first visit behind the dash, I somehow think it won't be my last ?

For a lot of the modern dash bulbs you do replace the whole carrier.

You can bodge something in there, but better to replace.

To remove the bulb, couple of paperclips required to push tangs in, IIRC.

Thanks Western, Neil and Mo. I located the pesky blighter and have one on order.

Decided to change a blown instrument lamp whilst I had it all out. Getting the little sod out of the carrier is a skill I haven't mastered yet. I think I'll just buy a new carrier and lamp? Halfords?

That's my first visit behind the dash, I somehow think it won't be my last

the speedo bulbs are 1.2 watt Halfords 509T the others are capless type 1.2 watt & just pull out of the bulb holders.

Update on dash pressure gauge LED lamp. Struck out at Halfords, their best suggestion was eBay.

Local independent car spares shop not only recognised part on sight, BU 286, they stocked it. £1 and 10 minutes later with a screw driver, all fitted and working.

• Like 1