Clutch / Gearbox questions

hi all

i drive a 1984 200tdi 90 with an lt77 box. recently I've been having to top up the clutch fluid every week or two it slowly gets worse and worse until it near enough won't work and i have to pull over and top up and pump for a few mins can anybody suggest what this might be i think possibly air in the system.. if it is how would i go about sorting it out.

another unrelated question is my gearbox feels carp it has a slight grind if i go down from 4th into 3rd and just doesn't feel the best.. would a full gearbox oil change make it feel any better I'm not sure when it was last done so could this be why it feels a bit rough.. what oil would you advise and how much of it would i need?

and ANOTHER question... how much nicer of a box is the r380? should it fail in the future I'm looking to get hold of a short bell housing r380 instead of replacing the lt77? would this be a good move or not?

any help would be great

cheers

Check the slave cylinder for leaks

The stumpy R380 boxes are incredibly rare, so unless you have one to exchange, or want to move your engine forward to accommodate a standard length R380 then I'd stick to the LT77

leaky slave cylinder, is your gearbox wading plug fitted ? if yes, remove it & leave it out, & replace the slave cylinder.

R380 is nice to use, synchro on reverse too, but 'stumpy' version for defender 200tdi is as Lewis says very rare & very expensive.

where can i locate the plug? also why would i leave the plug out?

leaving the plug out allows any engine oil, transmission fluid or clutch fluid to escape & not fill the clutch bell housing with fluid, letting it drain prevents further problems & gives you a indication something is wrong, leaving the plug in makes the housing a sealed area, wading plug only needs fitting if deep water crossings/driving will be needed.

there's 2

1 bottom face of engine timing case

1 bottom of clutch housing