Stub Axle end oil seal which one?

God this is turning into a parts number nightmare!?!

Right then I have a 300tdi 90 ("M" reg) it shows x2 options for the FRONT Stub Axle oil seal FTC840......or......FTC3145.....How do I know/tell which one I want?????

I know the theory of not fitting and letting the diff oil get to the ball joint instead of using 1 Shot grease, but would like to fit them just the same.

As always thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated

Regards Andy

If you run those numbers through craddocks you get more idea of which is which, the description gives you serial chassis numbers.

If all else fails both seals for both sides would cost you less than a tenner (though I dont know what the postage would be)

Should be going off the axle number, as it's the component which is the fixed standard. However i'd buy both types as they are a couple of quid then make a note of correct one in the front of your service book/haynes book of lies. (along with other useful numbers like the aux belt number, brake pads and calipers etc.

And just to put another spanner in the works (see what I did there ;) ).......Both FTC840 & FTC3145 show x2 needed?

Then I find..... FTC5268 x1......?

So is that x2 of which ever of the seals in question (FTC840....FTC3145) and x1 FTC5268 per side?.... if that incudes both sides why only x1 FTC5268 and which side

Think I need to go away for a bit and clear my head of exploded parts diagrams and part numbers?.......Trying to sort all parts needed to order and have ready to do the job when on my annual leave, oh whoooops of joy

you only use one per side. some manufacturers assume you will replace both and some allow for people only doing one at a time.

some parts can be a really difficult to find, especially when landrovers have so many talented people out there modifying them ...part of the joy.

excellent advice to use the axle number. it will be more precise but you may need to speak to a person rather than www search for it.

depends which one the seller asks for. if you have both to hand (or all three in this case) it will help a lot

Should be 2 oil seals (inner and outer), one either side of the taper bearings, gave me 3 or four possible numbers when looking at my front axle as being an 85/86 axle it could be late series or early defender. Found out RTC3511? is the pretty universal seal off the RR classic which is a nice fit front and rear inside and outside now.

The seal that separates diff and swivel oils sits in the end of the axle tube next to a bearing. The stub axle internal seals keep the oil in the swivels (front axle) or rear diff away from the wheel bearings and drive flanges, which is a bad thing.

So, replace the seals in the front axle tube if they're not in good order, but the stub axle seals are best removed.