Turbo Gauge

Guest WALFY

After sorting my dash out I have a spare hole for a gauge. I thought I'd put a turbo boost gauge in there just to keep an eye on whats going on. What would be a good gauge to get? Also what range would be best suited to my motor, I have a 200TDI lump fitted.

Many thanks

Guest diesel_jim

A mate of mine sent mine over from the States, as here is was pretty difficult (although not impossible) to get one suited for a diesel, they're all for chavved up boy racer petrol thingies, so have vacuum as well as boost, whereas we just need boost.

0-40 psi will be plenty,as standard boost is about 18psi,

expensive digital type

and nice digital EGT too!

combined digital boost and EGT

cheapie petrol type gauge

looks like twisted perfomance do them, but with vacuum! they should know better!

Jim

Thanks for that. They all look good. I like the look of the duel gauge. Thought it was a good price until you read the blurb and then you need a control box £80 and a thermocouple probe £50. So it works out quite expensive.

Thanks for digging out the info. Now will have to look for a gauge that suits my budget and that the sandbag won't notice to much. I like the VDO gauges but again seem a bit pricey. We'll have to see what santa brings.

I've got this one in mine, takes about 30 mins to fit or in my case 3 hours

:D

Does it come with everything I need to fit it. I'm pants at getting stuff to fit then realise I need loads of other expensive stuff to go with it.

Available in various colours. Fitting kit available.- 1 to +1 bar.

I think is the answer to that one.

Just as an aside can anyone tell me if i were to fit one to my 200 where is the best place to tap in to the manifold for the more accuarte reading and does it matter having a gauge with a vacum on it regarding its performance ie will it still read correctly?

Cheers, Will.

Hi ralph i know i can fit the t anyware from the line running to the wastgate actuator or the one to the injection pump but this will tell me how much boost my turbo is giving out right? I have been told that if you tap in to the inlet manifold then i can get an accurate reading of how much boost the engine is actually reciveing and not how much is being produced?? :huh:

in the pipe from injection pump to turbo will tell you how much boost the turbo is producing, fitted into the inlet manifold should indicate how much the engine is receiving IIRC, I would want to know if the turbo was producing it's correct boost & fit into the booost pipeline.

I have one of these waiting to be fitted. The price is right, it goes high enough for a Tdi (unlike the ones in Halfrauds that go to 1 bar) and all you need to add is some pipe and a T-piece. I guess that it will tell me when to change the air filter by going into the vacuum zone... :ph34r:

Chris

ive got the 2bar version of the TIM gauge in mine. easy enough to fit, the box even contained just enough plastic pipe to reach the turbo. took longer to find a dashlight feed for the blub if i remember rightly.

oh the chav coloured sidelight blubs fit these gauges so mine is now green like the rest of the dash.

• 1 month later...

Totally agree with Ralph on this one

I fitted one about 3-weeks ago took a small pipe off the vacuum return pipe (Turbo end) about 4cms in (the return pipe from the turbo-charger back to the injection pump) from a "t" connector rang the small pipe back through the bulkhead to a gauge i mounted in a small pod which i fitted horizontally to the left hand side of the main gauge consol left of the main speedo.

I sourced mine out of HKG via E**Y nice white gauge with bright blue backlight and reading PSI

the little kit came complete with "T" piece and length of pipe (subsequently discarded and stronger stuff bought)

All in all a interesting little project but with hindsight a little boy racerish

happy Trails

Abe