Rear Diff Seal Replacment

SPendrey

Hello again,

I attempted to replace the rear diff flange seal (I think that's right?) a few weeks back, in an attempt to reduce the number of oil spots under the Disco (300Tdi, '94/5).  Mine looks similar to the attached picture that I copied from the web (I think that's a D2, mine's a D1).  However, mine differs in that I tried to remove that centre peg by driving a bolt into it, through some thick washers against a large socket.  The theory being the bolt would pull the peg out.  It didn't.  Instead I now have a sheared thread of the bolt sticking out only just proud of the hole.  Not enough visible to get grips on.

So, I just stuck it all back together as is, and ignored it.  Except, now I know it's not right I want to address it!  Any suggestions for A) removing the sheared bolt and B) removing that centering peg thing afterwards?

Thanks,

Scott

13540-how-differential-removal-dsc_8977.jpg?dateline=1357532500

Removing the old bolt, I'd avoid "ezyouts" as they tend to shear, leaving hardened steel in the drilling.  If you cant weld a nut on to the protruding stub, then I'd look at cutting a slot across the end to use a screwdriver.  If that won't work, you'll have to drill it out and tap the threads again.  Following that, I'd heat the yolk to make pulling the spigot easier - you don't have to worry about heat damaging the seal, after all.

you'll end up cutting with a slitting disk down each of the 3 sides of the frnage, then belt each ear with a hammer, soak the area around the fitting of that daft pef by putting diff nose up overnight soak wd40. then you will get that centre out, undo bolt and reamoive flange, then seal, replace seal / flange and plug with new kit, or better still convert to a 4 bolt flange loose the donut and add a spacer in or change prop

Nige

Drill out the broken bolt. Use a set drill size if possible, say 3/8" - Fill the cavity with grease and fit a punch into the hole, it needs to be a tight fit, use a lump hammer and drive the punch into the drilled hole, the grease will hydraulically force the peg out revealing the 15mm bolt.   Drill and use a helicoil to give you a tread for future use.  If you need to heat up the flange do so, but only to allow the outside to expand to release the plug, as Snagger said you will damage the leaking seal but so what. 

• 5 months later...

Found a bit of time this weekend, and got to the bottom of this - although I'm yet to test drive!

Cut a small slot in the bolt stuck in the centre pin, then could unscrew it.  Then used about 10 (maybe more?) M8 bolts and nuts to ease the centre out.  The initial 'crack' to get it moving needed a 10.9 tensile bolt.  The thread kept going on all the others.  Anyway, once that bit was done the rest came along OK.  All back together now, with a new seal, 4-bolt flange and a 200TDi prop.  Hoping it'll drive OK in a short while?!

While attaching the new prop, with one wheel raised, I noted the rotation was significantly stiffer than before... I used to be able to rotate the wheel by twisting the prop, but on this occasion I had to use the handbrake drum to rotate it.  Test drive seems OK though, with far fewer "clacks" between gear shifts as the props and diffs all take up the slack.  Hopefully, that's the end (for now) of leaks at the rear of the car, now to find the engine oil or possibly diesel one at the front!

I wondered about a different pressure being applied to the diff pinion through the new flange and nut.  I'll have another check later in the week after a couple of days' driving.  Perhaps it just needs a little loosening up ~:-)

The bearing preload shouldn't have been altered by the new flange as it is controlled by the shims.  I can't imagine a tight seal causing quite that much resistance either.  Did you fit a new or used shaft?

Well, while in the MOT centre today the rear was lifted and the wheels/prop spin just right!  Sod's law though, a rear brake light bulb decided it wasn't playing ball.  Fixed on the stop for another year's entertainment.

• Like 1