convert rallye 1000 spots to LED

I'm not familiar with those lights myself. The big issue is, the higher output LED bulbs all have fans on the back of them. I doubt they'll fit in the spot lamp casings. So unless you plan to cut a hole in the back of them, there probably isn't a direct easy fit replacement.

Also with the LED bulbs, there is huge variance in output and quality. And all of them are cool white with poor CRI for the most part. If you want to buy LED bulbs you really need to go and read up a little on LEDs, so that you can know an Cree MK-R from a COB LED.

Different types of LEDs put out different amounts of lumens, they also vary in surface brightness and beam angle. Which can all affect how well or badly they may work in a halogen reflector.

If you are into modding, then you could in theory fab up a heat sink and mount a good LED on it, and add a driver. Much in the same way people mod torches and the like. But it will be a fair bit of effort to do.

Some companies like KC Hilites do offer LED upgrades, basically you only keep the backing dish and replace everything else. But they ain't cheap.

Another option you might want to consider is a HID upgrade. Just buy a reasonable 35w HID kit off ebay (£30 maybe) and the bulb should fit. Then remote mount the ballasts and off you go. Biggest benefit here is, you can buy 4300k with much better CRI.

I do like LED technology, but for automotive use, in the aftermarket, it's lagging several years behind what is available in other markets.

The HIDs will work fine, when you first turn them on you obviously have a warm up period, but it's not as bad as you'd think. If you then go dip and back to mainbeam, they seem to come on straight away once you've used them once.

I'm running LED headlights, halogens in the X-Lites (currently working on an LED upgrade for these), and the 3 big spots all run 35w HIDs in them.

B85D4FB4-018A-4394-BE2A-D4EDFED57EC2.jpg

This photo is with only the centre HID and X-Lites running. It's even brighter with all 3 HIDs running.

5B369A34-C3B1-46CD-9CAA-A8F4F483B386.jpg

Edited by Chicken Drumstick

X-Lites are little aluminium lights made by Simon at E-Engineering. They are little lamps on the bumper in front of the number plate.

They use household push in 50watt halogens. They a nice tough little lights, so good if they are to be mounted where they might take a knock or two. But their size limits their output a bit compared to some other offerings.

Note the slightly warmer glow nearer to the vehicle. That's the halogens from the X-Lites. My plan is to actually point them to the sides a bit more, to light up the hedges/verge when cornering or when off road.

X-Lites bulbs can be had in spot or flood beam patterns. But being only 50 watt and physically small, they will only ever be medium range lights. If you have stock halogen headlights with 55/65w H4 bulbs in, then a pair or two of the X-Lites are well worth the money. They won't shine any further than main beam does really, but they will increase the amount of light in front of you.

X-Lites can also be bought for fitting flush to a roll cage, so make a low profile roof mount option. Or in flood mode even a handy reversing light option or work light. If you want a long distance beam, then you'll need a physically large lamp and reflector.

My advice would be, don't fit X-Lites for the ultimate in light output, you'll be disappointed. But for compact tough rugged lights they perform very well. And are well priced too. About £60/pair including bulbs.

http://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=65_1760

If you off road a lot, they are likely to take a knock and keep working.