im posting this here because it seems to me that the people who read this section are most likely to have experience of raptor 4x4..

anyway, im going through cv joints in my challenge truck faster than is funny at the moment. seriously, 5 minutes of use and 2 brand spanking new cv's going pop is not funny.

a few of the guys at the club have bought these...

http://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/raptor-4x4-off-road-hd-front-halfshafts-land-rover-defender-from-300-tdi-discovery-300-tdi.html

and they look promising but i dont want to spend a couple of hundred quid and then have to go the ashcroft route anyway so..

has anyone tried them? if so what kit are you running? im running lockers and 33" special tracks.

many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

never heard of them and never seen them in any off road competition truck.

they advertise a good 5 yr warranty so there is little risk to trying them other than fitting time

for me i would only use ashcroft whose warranty is top notch.

Oddly enough, Ashcroft's destructive testing a few years ago found that Britpart CVs are especially good, only bettered by Ashcrofts own stuff, and beat the gen parts stuff by a country mile. I have had a couple, and they lasted pretty well. They were only £30odd a few years ago, so are cheaper than all the rest too. They may be worth a punt at that price.

I recall Kam Diffs making damping drive units. They were a coarse splined cylinder and coarse splined centre unit that engaged tightly on the half shaft. Polyurethane extrusions lay between the coarse splines of each part of the hub units (a bit like having PU cylinders in place of the large balls in a CV joint). They were about the same size as FWH. They mush have been quite good at reducing shock loads on CVs and diffs. I don't know if they're still available, but it might be worth checking.

I recall Kam Diffs making damping drive units. They were a coarse splined cylinder and coarse splined centre unit that engaged tightly on the half shaft. Polyurethane extrusions lay between the coarse splines of each part of the hub units (a bit like having PU cylinders in place of the large balls in a CV joint). They were about the same size as FWH. They mush have been quite good at reducing shock loads on CVs and diffs. I don't know if they're still available, but it might be worth checking.

no, canx project

GKN overload hubs are brilliant - if you can find any !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it was us that made these but was very hard to measure their effectiveness and thus justify the cost

Hi Nige, the GKN hubs were a good idea but in reality we found then very hard to setup, if the preload was too loose they just slipped and burnt out and if too tight they didn't 'give' at all, a very fine line

Dave