Looking for taller diff that fits a land rover discovery does anyone

94Discovery

Know if it exist i need taller like 3.0/1 or 2.88/1

The idea is i want to adapt my volvo portal drop boxes to existing rover housing flip the diffs and roll.

Keeping the original 3.54/1 my final RPM will be 3500 ,changing the lt230 to 1/1 instead of 1.2/1 my rpm will drop to 2950 ,i want to lower it more .

Thank you

naji

I think KAM used to do a lower ratio ring and pinion.

I just emailed them thx

Um, the Volvo diffs you seem to be throwing away are lower ratio and massively stronger. As is the rest of the axle. And the Volvo pinions bolt straight to Land Rover propshafts.

Or to put it another way: Whhhyyyyyyyyy?????

Easyier installation already the diff and diff housing are attached to the rover ,was looking at Killer axles from germany with the bolt on and i said why not all i need is 4flanges and 4new axles shafts volvo to rover and i am finished in theorie :)

portalboxes from a different brand axles to rover housings? It'll never work..

however once in a while it seems as though the hofs guys get some taller geared r&ps made, though there could be quite some waiting time involved I fear

I am not debating it it works or not,do you have proof off someone that did it and it failed ?maybe i am wrong but i am only asking for a source for taller diffs .

Thx

Seriously, mounting a complete Volvo axle to a Rover is far easier & nicer & stronger than chopping it up & trying to put the ends on an axle never designed for those forces. It's a couple of brackets, albeit they have to be strong & welded on properly.

Jez at HOFS does indeed have 5.99:1 cw&p sets brand new, not sure if he's got any in stock right now but worth an ask. With adult sized tyres & a 1.003:1 LT230 your cruising speed should be absolutely fine.

Please don't ruin a perfectly good set of Volvo axles.

I am not debating it it works or not,do you have proof off someone that did it and it failed ?

Bill Van Snorkle built his own portal axles from scratch and succeeded, but I dare say that if he'd had a ready-made set of axles laying around he wouldn't have gone to all the trouble and whittled his own. Also, he's a better engineer than any of us.

Land Rover fitted portals to Rover axles with the AgRover, and they weren't a runaway success. Mercedes bolted Tibus (or similar) portals to G-Wagen axles on that 6x6 thing, but there's a fair bit of bracing going on under that and it's running small-ish tyres and seems to be mostly used for cruising about showing off.

PortalTek, when they were around, had a collection of banana-shaped axles they'd tested with portal boxes bolted on, and they included hardcore fabricated rock-crawlin' ones that make Rovers look like drinking straws.

If you look at the construction & quality of the Volvo axles, and compare the Rover, you will notice that the Rover has the appearance of being pressed from a baked bean tin compared to the Volvo (or Mog for that matter) which are hewn from thick juicy chunks of unbendium. Portals multiply many of the forces acting on the axle tube by moving the centre of the (very large) tyre away from the centre of the axle. This turns the portal box into a lever, acting ~5" away from the mounting point. The good people at Volvo and Mercedes made their axles like that for a reason, and it wasn't because they weren't heavy enough or were too cheap.

I have learned never to assume you know better than the team of engineers that designed the thing originally, just because their reasoning is not always obvious - chances are they knew what they were doing, had good reasons, and did a sh*tload of testing / R&D / broke a lot of stuff before arriving at the design they did. Sometimes the accountants come round & make them wind their necks in, but that doesn't seem to be an overriding priority when designing big tough military trucks with portals. Perhaps more so with mass-produced family 4x4's... take your pick.

if you can't manage to weld a bracket on an axle, how is cutting & shutting two axles an easier or more robust prospect?

Hybrid from Hell (Megasquirt V8 Limited) has a set of new old stock KAM 2.83:1 ones for sale for £375 for sale on his website. Significantly cheaper than buying directly from KAM. He will ship worldwide.

Details about half way down this page http://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/diff_axle.php

Website states out of stock as he's on holiday at the moment, but if you PM him on here he will probably reply.

Cheers

Jon