Stanage Edge

q-rover

I have been climbing up there several times, most recently last November, but I didn't realise there was driving round there. It is very popular with climbers and walkers, so I am not surprised at the level of erosion.

That picture is take at the only realy technical/difficult point on the track. Its the view and drop off that make for a excellent lane. Appart from the exposed pipe (and I'm checking old photo's 'cos I'm not convinced its been recently exposed) not a lot looks to have changed since I was last up there?

Just as a thought, but to my untrained eye it looks as though that pipe has been uncovered on purpose. The Debris around it looks too neat, almost as though it had been dragged away from the pipe?

Pity though, I was looking forward to eventually driving that lane... Here's at least one person hoping it stays open.

Cheers

Matt2

We were supposed to drive it, but with shiny cars, some owners didn't fancy it and we had

to catch a ferry to get home, so didn't risk it.

The guys that had recce'd the lanes we did that weekend couldn't believe their eyes when they

saw SE. They drove all the lanes only 2 weeks previous to that weekend, that day anything

equiped with a tow hook or a 110 wheelbase had to scrape itself over the rocks.

For the full gory details read here.

IMHO the bid rocks with the scrapes on the top don't seem to have move since last time I was up there, That point in the track has always been the 'hard' bit and usualy requires some one to show you the way up it. Long wheel base vehicles usually have a harder time than short onea. Still looking for pictures?

IMHO the bid rocks with the scrapes on the top don't seem to have move since last time I was up there, That point in the track has always been the 'hard' bit and usualy requires some one to show you the way up it. Long wheel base vehicles usually have a harder time than short onea. Still looking for pictures?

If my memory serves me correctly that pipe has been exposed for a number of years. Certainly the last 5.

The damage to the large rocks can only have been done by Roman Chariots ;)

The last time I drove Stannage Edge 3 years ago the lower of the two rocky bits (which I think is the one in the picture) wasn't as bad as that. The big rocks haven't moved, but the soil and smaller rocks have been washed away.

My 110 had no problem getting down it, but I did manage to whack the bumper on a rock!

Steve

I have driven up and down it several times in the last 5 years. I agree with Vambo, the big rocks haven't moved, just the small stuff has washed away/moved around. It would take a major event to move the big rocks! I have heard that their is a voluntary one way system on Stannage, but had contradicting reports as wether its east to west or west to east.

A recent picture from SE to show the erosion there now.

There is a pipe of some sort now visible just at the bottom centre of the picture.

The picture was taken on 15.03.08

med_gallery_40_42_163733.jpg

Woah, that's a mess. It was never that bad when I drove it. I took Dave Philips of LRO down there in a 130, which I guess would be a struggle looking at it now.

Guest diesel_jim
Not the way we can think in the UK these days Jim. :(

Chris

That's this country in a nutshell.... anything "fun" or "interesting" is either taxed/banned/illegal/upsets the gays/immigrants/blacks/whites/yellows/spotty/tree huggers :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

• 3 weeks later...