Car shipping.........

Hi Adrian

First find a shiping company that ships to Borneo or near.

Second find an agent that will sort out the other agencies involved in the shipping.

Which ever you find first will generally point you in the direction you need to go.

Compare prices of different companies if possible.

There used to be a website. www.britishexpeditionvehicles.co.uk I think. See if you can find it. There was a lot of information in there.

Google tells us Silver Line Shipping. From a search on shipping to Borneo.

Now are you taking the car for a holiday or a perminant export.

HTH

mike

P&O nedlloyd is a good place to start. Are you sending the car permanently or for an event? In the last case you will need a carnet, which you can get from a Chamber of commerce.

Daan

Only place you can get a Carnet in the UK is from the RAC

Carnet pages

When you speak to a shipping company, try to find one that has an agent at the other end and so they can do all their own communicating. Otherwise you will have to find a company over there to arrange the unloading of the container, the transport to the customs area and any customs inspection and then the transport to the warehouse where you will collect from. If you find your own agent in Borneo it's highly possible that you will have to act as a go-between for the sending shipping company and the receiveing agent. My experience when shipping to the USA was that they don't like talking to each other!

Make sure the agent knows of any special conditions about packing the container, eg we weren't allowed to use timber in the container (despite the floor being made of wood!! :blink: ) to chock the car in.

I know when Ali (Reads90) shipped his stuff out to Oz he used a removals firm who did everything for him, but the circumstances were different in that he was moving over there permanently.

I used a company called Kingstown Shipping based in Hull to organise my shipping. They were ok, but didn't have an agent at the port we were shipping to. According to their website they ship pretty much anywhere.

And prepare to be frustrated ;)

Dan :)

Edit to add:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=27828

Excellent thread about Carnet

Not sure if one is required for Borneo, but RAC will be abl;e to confirm either way

Only place you can get a Carnet in the UK is from the RAC

This is a different type of carnet, which is needed for overland trips. I did not need this to ship a vehicle to Malaysia. I will check tonight, but my carnet was about £150, rather than thousands it usualy costs.

Exactly what is the plan Adrian, or is it classified info? :rolleyes:

Daan

Exactly what is the plan Adrian, or is it classified info? :rolleyes:

Daan

No hide a seek Daan, i've got a mate in Borneo who would love to own a Disco i've got a nice,ish one and that's what i'm trying to send over to him............ the cost of land rover's etc out there are just soooo high, i'm just trying to help him out.

Plus i'll be taking mine out there next year for a comp or two :P

Thank's everyone for all the info, it's given plenty to get on with......

This is a different type of carnet, which is needed for overland trips. I did not need this to ship a vehicle to Malaysia. I will check tonight, but my carnet was about £150, rather than thousands it usualy costs.

Daan

Where do you have to pay thousands of pounds for a carnet?

Adrian - you or your friend could contact the Land Rover Club of Malaysia. They regularly ship vehicles across to Africa and probably will be able to give you good advice/help.

If you are exporting the vehicle you will not need a carnet but import duty will be payable at the other end.

Margaret