front winch mount

graemejudge

• 3 weeks later...

Hya,

Looks the D's B's mate .... any pics of the complete project?

Which FL (engine) you got? with or without airco? used a V6 bumper? which winch?

Or do you wanna keep it your secret? ;)

cheers mate,

Dennis

its the 2L L diesel engine no air con with origanl bumper, and winchmax 9500 winch here is a few more picts

post-14886-0-22782900-1296684741_thumb.jpg

post-14886-0-18174400-1296684794_thumb.jpg

Fantastic workmanship you should be very proud of what you have made.

From your pictures then when you removed the plastic front bumper you replaced the existing metal front mount with a new custom mount?

Did you buy this new mount or did you make it?

Fantastic workmanship you should be very proud of what you have made.

From your pictures then when you removed the plastic front bumper you replaced the existing metal front mount with a new custom mount?

Did you buy this new mount or did you make it?

i had to make my own custom mount as there is no one out there that does them,

Very tidy installation, well done!

Do you have any stiffeners in the winch plate at all? IMHO it would benefit from pieces of angle iron welded to the under side of the plate, on either side where the mounting holes for the winch are. The rotational forces here are significant and I suspect with the first hard pull you will bend up the rear corners of the plate and possibly destroy your winch.... Thinking about it again, you could bolt the angle in place with the winch mounting bolts if you are unable to weld it with it in position.

Just some feedback :)

• 10 months later...

am thinking of getting set up to sell the winch bracket design would any one be intresed in one please put a ditto on here just so i know if any one intrested so i have rough numbers cheers

Graeme

Have i read this right, you're wishing to sell the above design ?

If i were you, i'd perfect it first. Yes it looks nice, but as stated above it definately needs some bracing. I'd also look at strong bolts /method holding it to the vehicle. I'd also weld the joins up completely, you seem to have a fair few gaps.

Don't take this the wrong way, more like constructive criticism.

I personally wouldn't look at selling "the design", due to the fact that if someone was going to this length to make it i'm sure they can use a tape measure, grinder and welder.

In one of the LR magazines, Devon 4x4 recently did a write up with photos showing how to do this to a new disco, it was pretty impressive :)

Just my 2p

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Greets from Poland, :)

I would like to ask how it works :), did you test it on some O-R conditions?

We're also try to fit a winch to front of my FL, and your photos are very helpful. :)

My FL '00 have an air con, so my winch will be probably more forward (but it should nice fit in to my nudge bar) , also we would to put some larger bolts (yours looks like stock from old alu bumper ?) I would like to fit it like this :

wyciag.jpg

Did you have stock suspension? (looks like stock) how they manage with weight of mount,winch and wire ? . My plan assume to fit more 12000 (a little bit smaller than yours) with synthetic rope an fairlead against rollers so it should be lighter than rollers and steel cable.

Good Job,

Greets And Happy new Year

Lukas

Poland.

• 5 months later...

Graemejudge, looks bloody good mate, and doesn't stick out like the camel trophy ones nice one. Its is exactly what i want to do with my 2002 commercial, especial with the receiver hitch on the front, when i get round to doing it think i might go synthetic rope though always preferred it, how long did the mods take? and how did you mount the fair lead? difficult to see from the photos.

Cheers

Seb