Td5 loom epoxy

NickMc

Because I'm cheap....

I would use a cable jointing kit from screwfix which has resin/epoxy for sealing up to 650 v cable joints. Have seen them happily immersed in all kinds of carp on the railway for years.

http://m.screwfix.com/p/prysmian-puj2cc-resin-joint-kit-2-5mm-4-core-max/61439?id=61439&_bck=1

You'd be better off using a silicone gel in the ECU connectors. Pack it in connectors and push together and you won't get any oil ingress.

Epoxy resin will harden and it not the best use in an off road vehicle in my personal opinion.

Cheers

Steve

Sorry i think you have mis-understood i want to use it where it exits the rocker cover corner. I'm finding alot of the problems on the earlier td5s where i am having to remove the entire engine harness to make repairs and i want to sort out the problem of oil contamination once and for all.

The problem of oil contamination is oil tracing down the wires, between the copper core and the plastic insulation. So to solve this problem completely you would have to glue/seal the joint where the engine loom joins the injector loom but this would mean you can never split it, hence Si's suggestion above of using a grease to stop oil entering the joint.

Andy

Sorry i think you have mis-understood i want to use it where it exits the rocker cover corner. I'm finding alot of the problems on the earlier td5s where i am having to remove the entire engine harness to make repairs and i want to sort out the problem of oil contamination once and for all.

No misunderstanding. The oil only causes a problem when it gets into connectors at the ECU. You clean the connectors then fill them with gel, grease or jelly as suggested and then no oil can enter them. Problem sorted once and for all.

It's also a simple 2-3 min job, so nice and easy fix.

I've seen people try to use epoxy or mastic to seal the injector end of the loom with limited, or at least short lived success. The only solution which has worked long term is to fill the connector on the ECU with petroleum jelly.

On one of the Forum trips (to the Peak District), Chris's (GBMUD) Td5 started suffering from this problem and misfiring horribly. I suggested this over the CB - but nobody took it seriously! When we eventually stopped for lunch, after a bit more persuasion, Chris agreed to try it. James (JST) by a lucky coincidence had a huge tub of Vaseline (best not to ask why ;) ). We thoroughly cleaned the interior of the connectors, then completely filled both halves with Vaseline such that when they were pushed together, the excess was forced in to every nook & cranny and all the air expelled and the rest extruded through the seals. It started and ran fine - and as far as I know still is! There was a certain amount of 'humble pie' eating afterwards!

The problem with Epoxy is two fold. Firstly, you need to get it in to the spaces between the individual strands that make up the wire but on the whole it's too viscose so doesn't get in there. This just leaves you with the same situation that the oil will track in-between the strands as it did before. Unless you get the wire & connector surgically clean, the oil stops the epoxy sticking & forming a seal. Any gap caused by the oil film, leads to the same problem. The second is that most of the Epoxy is too brittle and suffers micro-fractures around the wire - through which the oil can track.

I dare say, done properly with the right epoxy in the right conditions, this could be very effective - but it seems a lot of effort for something you can fix in 5 minutes with a tub of Vaseline!

Si