200tdi defender power steering pump/alternator bracket problem

Hi guys just had a great 2000km trip here in South Africa and didnt have any problem until the lat 10 km when the alternator/power steering pump bracket stripping the thread where it goes into the timing case body.

I have a 200tdi genuine defender from1993 and have always had a problem on the fixing of this bracket for the ps pump and alternator as the timing chest rear case has quite badly worn the 2 available bolt fixings and also the flat mating surface of these 2 bolt housings. This has the effect of not helping with the true alignment / running of the power steering pump belt

I have checked the parts book and it shows that the bracket should have 2+1(3) bolts that go into the timing chest. I can only see 2 bolts that can be attached and does not show clearly how the 3 bolts are attached or any other bracket for allowing the 3rd bolt

I have put some pics and a page from the parts book with the 3 bolts (screws) highlighted and also showing my bracket with the 3 holes to accept the bolts.(I hope they load as am on a tablet that is carp!)

I have hopefully (?)managed to rebuild the broken top thread hole (10mm dia) and the lower 8mm dia hole with some lock tighted studs with spring washers andnuts ,which have also been reinforced with some epoxy putty to build up the timing chest casing where these bolts go in.

So question is how or where does the 3rd bolt go in to?

Is there a way to work out from the part numbers what size diameter/length those bolts should be as not sure if my top one had been retapped to a bigger size at some previous time.

I will try to find a replacement rear timing chest case for when I next to a cambelt change (3.5yrs to go) but really want to avoid doing the case until that time

Any advice as usual gratefully recieved

Thanks

Andrew

post-12769-0-96107000-1429647697_thumb.jpg

post-12769-0-60996300-1429647750_thumb.jpg

post-12769-0-39404600-1429647811_thumb.jpg

post-12769-0-16371900-1429648339_thumb.png

Hi all and many thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Have managed to get the bracket and pas /alternator back together and all seems to be running well.The belt for the pas is also running much truer

I will look into either finding a replacement rear timing chest or else put in a helicoil but only when the cam belt needs changing or if the current repair wont hold., its quite restricted to get a good result in situ and unsure how deep I can go with drilling.

Still cant see where/how the 3rd bolt would attach to ?

I did also drill out and tap my alternator housing that attaches to the tensioning link as before it was just a drilled hole meaning I had to try and tension the belt whilst holding and tightening a nut and bolt with 2 spanners!

Ok I've got a slightly damaged case I just went and measured for you, as made depth from the machined face the bolt holes are 23mm deep, there are a few other holes that need to be avoided but I myself would be happy to deepen those two bolt holes to 35mm, any deeper and you'll break through into another area, which even then isn't desperate, you just might need to seal the bolt in to keep integrity of everything else.

With regard to your 3 bolts, you might have just found another of the Land Rover "typo's" in the parts book...

post-20087-0-00984300-1429709137_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-52758800-1429709183_thumb.jpg

Hey Maverick many thanks for all the effort and that does help .I do have it back together and seems to be running well as its my daily ride but come the next service I may indeed try a build up with helicoil if any thing looks suspect.

Thanks again for effort

Ndrew