300tdi fan belt protection

I had to drive through several mud/clay holes lately. During that the fan belt started to screech really badly. Actually, it was almost unbearable to stay near the working motor (= extra noisy defender). Apparently there was some dirt splashed on the belt. In local garage they supported the idea, as the working face of pulleys was polished shiny. So I have spent hours to clean pulleys and placed a new belt. Bloody annoying work so thought that maybe there is something to be done to keep the belt clean? Avoiding dirt roads and mud-holes is unfortunately not an option :(

Engine is 300tdi fitted on defender in 1995.

Also, could someone give a short tutorial how to remove topic :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I excluded the tensioner, as the whining stops when spraying water on the belt. After it dries out, the whining comes back. I've changed the tensioner with new one without any effect. Only thing that reduced the whining was cleaning pulley grooves from burnt in rubbery material (from belt I assume). Also the grooves of belt itself are damaged, filled with similar rubbery debris as pulley grooves. I'm still waiting for new belt after what I hope the whining stops.

My assumption is that during driving through clay/mud holes the mush was splashed to belt. There it was rubbed into belt material and due to increased friction it melted to pulley and belt grooves. So far I had stuck viscous coupling and the fan was working all the time and air flow kept the under-bonnet area clean and I didn't got any problem with belt contamination (heard few days back, that keeping belt clean was also problem for some MB engines back in 1980ties). Anyhow, I have removed the fan in late august (driving became much quieter, no overheating even when towing 2,5 tonne trailer, fuel consumption dropped at least 0,5 l/100km - just wonderful). But there are a lot of splashes under bonnet (on top of coolant tank, on top of engine, etc etc) now. My conclusion is that removing fan, I exposed belt for dirt. But I have no experience with defender with non-stuck viscous coupling, so if I'm wrong please correct me.

I have three 300tdi defenders. All have suffered from belt squeak and chirp over the years, usually after not being used for a few months. It is always rubber debris in the belt which causes the noise. - I live by the sea an if not used the pulley surfaces rust and abrade the belt causing the rubber debris. I have tried cleaning the rubber belt grooves but it never really works. I generally do a hundred or so mile on the noisy belts, by which time the rust is all cleaned off the pulleys, fit a new dayco belt and it runs silently.

I have three 300tdi defenders. All have suffered from belt squeak and chirp over the years, usually after not being used for a few months. It is always rubber debris in the belt which causes the noise. - I live by the sea an if not used the pulley surfaces rust and abrade the belt causing the rubber debris. I have tried cleaning the rubber belt grooves but it never really works. I generally do a hundred or so mile on the noisy belts, by which time the rust is all cleaned off the pulleys, fit a new dayco belt and it runs silently.

Thanks for reply. I hope that new belt solves the problem of squealing.

I have had one absolutely quiet belt so far, and that was 'made in PRC'. But, it broke into pieces after 15000 km / 1 year. I have used also 2 dayco belts and they both had some chirping...