Choosing an Air Compressor

Mean Green

I want to buy an air compressor for my garage/workshop, But I do not know where to begin, what should I be looking for?

It is only really for blowing up tyres, running air gun to change wheels and waxoil guns, nail guns etc.

What capacity should I be looking for - what are decent makes and would I be better with a 2nd hand bigger unit rather than a new small one?

I am still working out a budget, so am not sure how much I will have to spend - but given the credit drunch probably not a lot! Could I get something worthwhile for £200 (or less)

For that sort of money you're probably looking at 50L and around 2Hp. That sort of size will be fine for changing wheels with a windy gun, but not prolonged use of a high demand tool such as an air ratchet. If you try and use a high demand tool a lot you will find yourself waiting for the compressor to catch up a lot of the time.

Don't forget to account for a decent regulator and/or drier. Many of the regulators that come with compressors are poor at best, or in some cases actually constrict the compressor outlet, lowering its performance with high-demand tools.

You want a 50lt tank for sure, you won't be happy with anything less, and for running air tools, you need to buy the biggest CFM rated one you can afford. Ideally, you want one which is belt driven and not direct driven too, much much quieter, especially if your neighbours do or might moan...like one of mine...

I have a clarke hunter 60 - its got a 50l tank and 2.5/3hp V-Twin "engine" so shifts a lot more air than similar sized compressers, never had a problem with shot blasting, windy gun, cutting or spraying and its very well priced too.

Conversley I have a 3 HP 15 CFM (I think) compressor with a 150 Ltr tank,

When I started out it was more than big enough but as time has moved on and my stock of air tools has incresaed it's become annoying waiting for the bloody thing to keep up.

As always I guess the lesson is buy the biggest you can afford then upgrade when you have to.

Mick.

When I started out it was more than big enough but as time has moved on and my stock of air tools has incresaed it's become annoying waiting for the bloody thing to keep up.

Ditto. I now have a 300L tank with freezer compressors drip-feeding it whenever i'm in the workshop.

Means i've got 300L @ 150PSI on tap, and no compressor noise - the freezer compressors are practically silent :)

It works well with my sporadic usuage - the compressors can make up over time. It wouldn't work in a situation where it was used all through the day.

I bought a Clarke SE16C150 yesterday from machine mart to replace an old compressor I had and was surprised when I got home to find it had no plug and required a 30 amp plug not a domestic 3 pin affair, something I hadn’t thought of and it wasn’t mentioned by the guys in the shop when they loaded it into the disco for me!

I run my barn off a generator, does anyone know if a conventional 3 pin plug will do?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Clarke SE16C150 yesterday from machine mart to replace an old compressor I had and was surprised when I got home to find it had no plug and required a 30 amp plug not a domestic 3 pin affair, something I hadn’t thought of and it wasn’t mentioned by the guys in the shop when they loaded it into the disco for me!

I run my barn off a generator, does anyone know if a conventional 3 pin plug will do?

as long as your generator will power it then no problem, 3 pin plug will be fine, i got a 4hp 150 litre tank sip compressor running off my house electrics, no problem

Get one that does 145/150psi not one of the little ones that only does about 110psi, this effectively gives you a lot more in reserve in the same size tank. I have a 2HP Draper 25L one and it does OK for my needs at the moment but is pitifully inadequate for any serious use. One day I will get a 3HP/150L which I think will do anything I need it to but it isn't a priority at the moment - the washing machine and the shower both blew up yesterday :(