Oil Cooler Pipes - 200TDi Metric / Imperial - What Years?

gruntus

Chaps,

On my rebuild I have a 200TDi (Defender) engine fitted to my 1985 90 and bought a new rad with combined oil cooler about a year and a half ago.

What I have discovered is that the oil pipes off the engine are imperial/rounded fitting at the oil cooler end of the pipes (rounded knuckle with fitting- Gas fitting?) and the new radiator/oil cooler has metric fittings with the "o" seal.

Options as i see it are:

a) new rad with imperial fittings,

b) new metric oil cooler pipes

c) bespoke set of pipes up made by someone like Pirtek.

Does anyone know what year the imperial sizes ran to and when the metric started?

Did the oil pump side of the oil coolers stay imperial or go metric at a particular year as well?

I tried my local scrappies for discovery pipes but they dont seem to be the same.

If I know the correct year then I can possibly check on Microcat then order something up that suits.

If anyone can answer any of the above (or even have part numbers!) then I can order online.

If Ralph is on duty tonight I might be in luck! :D

Thanks in advance!

Grant :)

First off Ralph truly is awesome!

Just to clarify my setup I have all the hoses etc from a 200TDi for intercooler and radiator (not like the old "upgrade" kit)

I have had a look at the rad and the oil cooler adapters and the radiator are sealed in with a varnish/chelac type material and all the housings are plastic.

If I take spanner to change the fittings my monkey hands will probably break it!

Going the route of less probability of breaking anything maybe I should get a newer set of oil cooler pipes with the metric "o" seals?

Having a quick look at the PDF Ralph provided it looks like the pukka oil cooler pipes shown are only for the 300TDi? i am guessing the 300TDi's are metric both ends.

Was there a crossover point when the 200TDi's had metric oil cooler fittings at the rad end and imperial at the engine? I am starting to think I may have a rad for a 300TDi........

Thanks again for your help chaps and I think we could make a fortune if we created an application called MicroCatRalph! :D

Cheers

G

The type that use 'o' rings are the 300 pipes and they are too short for a 200 Tdi as the 300 engine sits further forward, closer to the rad. Change the oil cooler fittings on the rad, they just screw out or, if you can't remove them, go to Pirtek and get some adapters for them to suit the correct pipes.

HTH

Mo

Aha!

Eureka moment, got access to a 92 200TDi defender and it has the metric ends at the rad!

The part numbers are ESR 1912 and ESR 1913.

Scarily I had a search on the for sale forum and guess what Mo had for sale in December last year that he bought in error? The very same! :o

Mo whats the 1000,000 to 1 chance you still have them? :P

A long shot I kniow but worth a try!

All the best

G :)

• 2 years later...

Old thread reprisal here.....

Similar to the original post, I have a new rad with the o-ring style adapters at the oil cooler end, I removed the flared adapters from the original rad with a view to swapping them over but there's no way the factory fit ones in the new rad are coming out without breaking or shearing.

So after the usual trawling for info I bought the ESR1912/13 pipes as listed for the 200tdi....but they have o-ring ( metric) ends for the oil filter housing too so I have just moved the issue to the other end of the pipe!

Looking at the parts diagram it lists nrc8618 with a crush washer to fit into the housing, however looking at images of the part it doesn't have the recess for an o-ring but is a female flare (conical) fitting. My original pipes are flared and screw directly into the filter housing without the need for adapters. Anyone know if you can get an adapter to fit?

I assume that the OP didn't have an issue at the filter head? Any help greatly appreciated