LR factory fit split charge system...

Hi folks,

Digging around the Camel 110, i've found what I think is a LR fit split charge system...

Can anyone help me cofirm as to whether or not it is a split charge system...

I'll post up some pictures later.

Cheers

Mav

Thanks Ralph, was this the only system LR installed? - I've got 2 relays hidden behind the birds nest of wires where the engine loom/rear loom connectors join up the inboard side of the steering column... any clues as to what they're for?

H Reg 1991 Genuine 200tdi...

When I worked in Prototype Development at LR the common split charge system fitted to press vehicles and the like used a Voltage Sensitive Relay (yellow in colour, three pin, with lr part no) as found in heated rear window circuit on defender, and a suitably rated relay/solenoid/contactor to handle the alternator output

You may have something similar fitted

Here are the relays I'm talking about...

post-20087-0-18697900-1368180547_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-08493900-1368180560_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-13076300-1368180569_thumb.jpg

I'm going to take the dash apart this evening as have some other wireing issue i need to check out, I'll take some pictures of behind the dash see what that reveals...

just a thought does the 110 have twin fuel tanks & a rocker switch on bottom of instrument pack to switch between tanks, looking at the parts book, there is a loom item 1 for twin fuel tanks, on page 696 http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/8_body_electrics_p667-740.pdf

but I'm not sure if the 3 relay blocks fit on dash side of bulkhead or where your relays are, it's not a very accurate diagram.

Hi Ralph, good thought, I was thinking that too, she does have twin tanks, but its the mechanical army type switch over system, with 2 valves and a few linkages operated from the front of the seat box...

I went digging around behind the dash today and found a fair few bits I wasn't familier with it being a 1991 it was the newer wireing set-up...

Here's a few bits...

post-20087-0-03751000-1368383554_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-10035300-1368383518_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-90692100-1368383568_thumb.jpg

the white plug is for the dim dip voltage transformer unit this one.

the black rubber plug might be the connection from dash to engine loom for petrol engined vehicles.

can't quite make out the wire colours on the centre photo, can you list them & we should be able to find them in the wiring diagrams

post-20-0-93168400-1368385145_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
western and maverik i would love to know what the yellow connector is because im sure there is one bolted on the bulkhead of mine

The yellow connector is for the Voltage Sensitive Switch. I have one of those on my dash with a Yellow relay in it.

It should have 3 wires connected to it, Black, Brown and a Black/Slate.

Hope this helps.