switches

I am after sourcing some on off switches to go in the blanks of the td5 and puma dashes at work next to the fog light switch. Does anyone know what make they are or where to source them? Land rover only do replacement fog ones or air co etc with legends all ready on and want 50 quid each.

Many thanks

Matt

I am after sourcing some on off switches to go in the blanks of the td5 and puma dashes at work next to the fog light switch. Does anyone know what make they are or where to source them? Land rover only do replacement fog ones or air co etc with legends all ready on and want 50 quid each.

Many thanks

Matt

All of the TD5 (2002 onwards) and Tdci Puma switches are available from Land Rover.

Most of them aren't on/off switches, there's some that switch to earth and others that are non-latching momentary switches.

Several of them, as you've said, cost in excess of £50 each.

However, the Tdci Puma heated seat switch is still only around a fiver new :D

It's part number is - YUF500150LNF

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-YUF500150LNF

YUF500150LNF.jpg

It's a latching, live-switching on/off switch, which uses the Black 5-way switch connector, available from a couple of sources (including me icon_thumbup.gif)

It's wired, as follows -

Pin 1 - Live in from fused supply

Pin 2 - Dash illumination

Pin 3 - Not used (but is internally connected to Pin 5 - Earth)

Pin 4 - Switched live out to accessory (relay terminal 86)

Pin 5 - Earth

It will fit into any of the spare switch positions on the facia (except electric windows) if you remove the moulded keyway, arrowed below -

YUF500150LNF2.jpg

The switch front with the heated seat symbol can be unclipped and replaced with one from another switch, or a modified blank one.

I've used these switches with a modified blank switch front.

To do this, I drilled a 2.5mm hole in the blank switch front, cap so that the Orange 'tell-tale' LED can still be used, like this (bad pictures :blush: ) -

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

There a number of ways to create your own symbol on the blank switch front.

The switch fronts are moulded in a translucent white plastic, which is then painted Ash Grey or Black.

If you were talented with a Dremel or similar (I'm not :( ), you could engrave the blank switch cap with a suitable symbol so that when back-lit, the symbol illuminates.

Here's a TD5 facia (not mine :mellow: ), with home-made front fogs and Cruise control switches, in place of the heated seats switches -

P10005761_zps17e60e4c.jpg

Or you could use a stick-on symbol, like these from VWP, or MUDSTUFF -

sym.jpg

dfsds.jpg

The MUDSTUFF symbols are clear on black, so if you polished away a small area of the paint finish on the blank switch cap (under where the symbol is going to be stuck), the symbol will illuminate with the dash lights.

Although they haven't pictured the sheet, MUDSTUFF also do a White on Clear sheet, which could be used on a blank switch cap , without any polishing away of it's paint finish; of course, it wouldn't illuminate with the dash lights.

Paul.... Any idea where to get blank switch covers from??

You can't buy the covers separately, you have to buy the complete switch blank.

Ash Grey switch blank - AMR5432

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/81915/0/switch_blank_plate_facia_def_dis11

AMR5432.jpg

Black switch blank - FBV000090PUY

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/116037/0/panel___blanking

[no picture]

Ash Grey heated seat switch blank - YXJ000020LNF

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/95338/0/switch_blank_defender_2a_

YXJ000020LNF.jpg

There's no Black version of the heated seat switch blank.

Ah.... I have a blank where the front fogs would go..... Should the facia of that come away?

Yes icon_thumbup.gif

Pop the blank out of the dash, and you'll see how the blank front is clipped to the body, this is the same for the switches and the blanks.

One of my pictures in an earlier post, shows an unclipped modified blank switch front, from behind.

You can see the 4 tabs that clip it to the switch/blank body - I use a jeweller's screwdriver to carefully lift the tabs.

Take care when un-clipping them, they're easily broken.