Winch ropes any recomendations

Ok folks my front winch rope has now done 11 competitions and I think it might be time to retire it as my next will be winching up the very steep hills at Crumps farm in 2 and a bit weeks time on the Challenger event. Yes I know I have just done this site on the tail end challenge but now it makes me shudder thinking about what would have happened had a rope snapped. I need 38m (or 125 feet ) of 12mm rope for my front twin motor 8274 , any reccomendations on type and supplier would be welcome as money is tight at the moment.

Dynemma bowrope. Ive got some 11mm and it hasnt broken yet been on there a year now, I wouldnt have thought its had quite the abuse that yours may have a had on the challenger series but that said im sure a few of the comptitioners on here do use it.

Its not badly priced either.

Dave.

Steve,

We did the first round of the challenger with rockstomper (amsteel blue?) and broke it 3 or 4 times. We changed to Bowrope and haven't had an issue since. We were attempting to choose between Plasma 12 and Bowrope, but the Bowrope won on price.

Both Adrian and I have used Bowrope on our other trucks in the past too, and not had any issues with it.

hth

Mark

(Team 4)

Thanks Guys I am tempted by the Bow rope and have researched prices for 125 foot 12mm inc vat as follows

Bow Rope £333.50

Marlow £323.00

Plasma £402.00

Marlow Extreme £503.00

Hi,

I did pm you and if you want to give me a call I will see what I can do for you.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

Ruftraks UK Limited.

I used 11mm plasma for 4 comps and it broke on the front it seemed to brake really easily. so i changed to 12mm bow rope supplyed by lucy @ challenger. the bow rope has been fantastic. although my rear rope 11mm plasma has done around 5 comps on the front and 3 on the rear and is still going strong. but i would now go with 12mm bowrope as its a better price and the extra 1mm give it a bit longer before it weakens.

my 2p.

Dan

I used 11mm plasma for 4 comps and it broke on the front it seemed to brake really easily. so i changed to 12mm bow rope supplyed by lucy @ challenger. the bow rope has been fantastic. although my rear rope 11mm plasma has done around 5 comps on the front and 3 on the rear and is still going strong. but i would now go with 12mm bowrope as its a better price and the extra 1mm give it a bit longer before it weakens.

my 2p.

Dan

And my Amsteel blue did you a turn at the Tuff Trophy ;)

I've been thinking, what is the main cause of rope failure, is it abrasion? (probably not heat as a lot of winches are of the 8274 design with the brake on the side)

All these rope tend to get a bit fluffy after use.

I've heard of multi layer ropes where the outside layer is not so strong but is a more abrasion resistant material.

Or you can get nylon sleeving for abrasion protection.

Has anybody thought of covering the entire rope is something like heat shrink tubing for protection?

PS I would now go for 12mm on a twin motor winch as I've snapped a hardly used 11mm Plasma on a rear winch on a straight pull.

My thinking is that 11m Plasma has a breaking strength of 21,000lbs.

A normal winch from Warn can pull up to 9,000lbs but one with twice the motor power and potentially lower gearing (smaller winch drum) you could get very close to maximum breaking strength of a new rope.

After a bit of googling something like http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=148&inst=1

You will never get a straight answer on this one as people exagerate the truth and making a statement like my 10mm has been on my Disco 3 for nearly 2 years now and is as new is obvious.Also dare i suggest that there would appear to be many different ways to measure the thickness of an 11mm or 12mm rope :blink: Out of interest i have been using the 38mtr Marlow 12mm Extreme/Max or what ever it is being called now for over a year.Washed it in the washing machine, reversed the end the hook is on at regular intervals and also moved it from the front to the back as it gets older.Im not sponsored for ropes in any way by anyone, so you could say at that price i make sure i get the most out of it. It has lasted use and abuse on a car that weighs slightly more than a feather and is on a twin motor front and single on the rear. I have used most other ropes and sizes in the past and never noticed any real world difference in them all until now.I stick my neck out in suggesting that the early Marlow rope was no better or worse than others,so unlike the others, they have moved the game on in the new rope but also the price. Since using the 12mm Max i have been asked many times what sort of rope im using.Make your own conclusions from that. Tell your supplier that you want his rope but not at that price as i have had it cheaper than that and its a tough world out there!!! :ph34r:

I use Bowrope and have used the same ropes without any sympathy on 7 of the 8 rounds of Howlin Wolf this year. I expect to get through the last round without fuss too.

As Nick mentions above we have been running the same 11mm Bowrope on RV4 for this years series of Howlin Wolf. we have kept dedicated front, mid and rear ropes, removed them after each round and hand washed them (warm water, no detergent). The ropes have had alot of abuse over the year and have performed very well, the Slindon mud at the last round has certainly ground some grit into them too. Last year we also ran 11mm Bowrope and broke one front and one rear about midway through the series.

We are lucky enough to be sponsored by Goodwinch who supply the Dyneema Bowrope although that doesnt alter the fact the same ropes have lasted the whole season for us.

I have used most ropes on the market and there seems to only be 2 that are any good and that is bow or plasma,

don't get me wrong i love the the stuff but can't help feeling mugged everytime i buy it, for the money it is costing it should be way more superior and longer lasting than it is, the claim that it is stronger than steel i personaly believe is a bit miss-leading as i don't doubt that when it is brand new it might just out perform but once it has been subjected to the conditions it is suposed to be made for it quickly looses it's strength and is way more inferior, trouble is we have all come to the way of thinking it is acceptable for it to just let go as and when it feels like it and blame it on ourselves for "not looking after it properly" :(:(

... trouble is we have all come to the way of thinking it is acceptable for it to just let go as and when it feels like it and blame it on ourselves for "not looking after it properly" :(:(

Hence my thinking why don't people use double braided rope?

Which is supposed to have better wear resistance due to the tougher (but less strong) outer braid and the tighter braiding of the outer material.

I believe that all rock climbing rope is double braided due to the increased wear when rubbing on rocks.

Hence my thinking why don't people use double braided rope?

Which is supposed to have better wear resistance due to the tougher (but less strong) outer braid and the tighter braiding of the outer material.

I believe that all rock climbing rope is double braided due to the increased wear when rubbing on rocks.

Hi,

The problem with double braided lines is that it is really difficult to splice & that the two types of line (inner core & outer sleeve) have different elongation rates & breaking strains.

Now this may be fine for climbing lines, with built in streching characteristics, vital when put under the stresses of shock loading and also generally operating at much less NBS rates.

Whereas synthetic lines used for winches have near to zero elongation prior to failure & operate at much higher breaking strains..

So, it is my belief that it is real difficult to compare the two diciplines as they are poles apart.

AT.