So....just what might I have done to me axle / steering ?

As the post says really

have done most of the initial repairs to the 90 following the 1st of the Howlin' Wolf challenge event, but one thing just does "Seem quite right" :unsure:

Steering,

I have checked rims, steering dampner, axle tube, front track rod and sump bar (rotates fine) back teack bar (and sumo bar rotates fine) and visually inpected what I can all all seems fine.

BUT

Before the event the steering wheel was exactly staright in the staright ahead position - now its a good 1/3 turn off when driving straight ahead :blink:

The sterring also feels very "Notchy" and lumpy when you turn it, and doesn't seem to want to go back straight - say if you turn into a road and then want to straighten up, its sort of "lumpy" :huh:

I know something isn't right, but I am unsure what ?

I did do a massive winch pull up a bank and the axle was at full locks and jammed into the bank, wondering if the steering box may be damaged ?

Basically any ideas what I could check for / visual vs strip down, just like to have a few more brains thoughts and ideas for me to add and check on the list :(

Nige

Guest diesel_jim

definately steering box.

i've done that a few times before, i rememebr once sliding down a grassy slope, gripping the wteering wheel tight, and i stopped/hit the ditch at the end, got pulled out and then the steering wheel had to be at an alarming angle to get it to drive straight.

apparently one of the shafts in the box can bend. don't know how weak it makes it, so i'd suggest changing the box ASAP

Nige, you've broken it!

The input shaft on the steering bod is heat shrunk onto the worm drive and then pinned. Under load the pin can shear so the steering wheel is no longer straight but as the worm is a tight fit it will still drive OK till the next time you have to use force on the steering wheel. As a check see if you still have full lock in both directions, this will confirm nothing else has moved /broken or bent.

I did in 5 steering boxes ( mainly due to silly offset rims) untill I fitted the hydro assist, problem solved!

I think ive done the same to mine with the hydro assist! Eeeeekkkkk! the last two event the straight ahead position has gone from bang in the middle to about 15 degrees to the left stopped there for a bit then went about 25 degrees to the right. The steering box had gone through some serious abuse before I did the hydro assist so maybe the damage was already done. Think I might get a new box to convert and replace it. Atleast that way I know what sort of life it has had.

Can a steering box be adjusted to remove slack?

Yep, Grub screw and lock nut on the top, Be careful tho when they wear its mainly in the straight ahead position, if they wear a lot and you adjust the slack out with the wheels pointing straight they will sometimes bind/go tight when you steer either way giving you horrible steering.

Thanks all - Paul W and others..

Yes I am "Worried" that as I know its not feeling right something may go twang...I did think Hmmm steering box ?...seems to confirm it, I have a spare I think in the workshops I'll drag it out, and fit it, if that does it then I@ll pull the old box apart and have a lookie

Ta all, if anyone else has any other ideas post up, otherwise I'll let you all know

Ta

Nige :blink:

I know its already been solved but there was one stupid thing that gave my steering this feel after offroading. My steering guard got bent and it was pushed up against the front steering arm. As soon as I took the guard off I found the two bolts that grip the end of the rod worn down but the steering was perfect again.

Just a silly one but worth checking before changing the box out I think.

Yes I am "Worried" that as I know its not feeling right something may go twang...I did think Hmmm steering box ?...seems to confirm it, I have a spare I think in the workshops I'll drag it out, and fit it, if that does it then I@ll pull the old box apart and have a lookie

Ta all, if anyone else has any other ideas post up, otherwise I'll let you all know

Ta

Notchy feel could be because the worm is bruised - reckon I did that on the Scottish Hillrally last year to my brand new box!

The sector shafts do break and one of the tell tales is that the steering goes out of alignment. We did one on the Hillrally in 96, doing 95 mph in the forest, said to co-driver that the steering feels funny and straight ahead isn't where it used to be, next corner threw it in, but didn't come out sector shaft dropped straight out the bottom of the box.

Speaking to others after the event it is pretty common to get 'some notice' before the failure.

The only other thing I would check in your case is whether you have any bends in the drag link or else where in the steering. It may be that although you have damaged the box it is not terminal, although the only way to be sure is to replace it!

H

Ta

Nige

Had a very simular thing in a rangie once.

After alot of head straching and looking puzzled we found out that the problem was carp (mud and sand ) inside the tube caseing of the steering damper. I know this may not cause the steering wheel not being staight. But is what caused my steering not to straighten up after going around a corner , and very lumpy steering. It got really bad in the rangie and after a week i could not turn left, which was a bit interesting :)

But of course looking around under the car you will never see it as it is all in the tube Easy to sole stick a jet wash up the steering damper tube :)

Ali