Anyone running MT's on a freebie? (15" rims)

FridgeFreezer

This is partly driven by the fact I've got tickets to Glastonbury, and if it rains I want to be the one pulling people out not t'other way round :P and also my tyres are old and a little worn.

For a stock LR it's universally accepted that BFG MT's are just about the perfect all-rounder, but would they be horrible on a Freebie that lives on-road? I know people who have run BFG MT's for hundreds of thousands of miles on-road with no complaints, but I'm looking for feedback on if the same will hold true on a Freebie?

I'm also thinking of going up in size to "as big as you can go without problems", research suggests 215/80R16 (28.5") is the biggest you can go, so I was thinking somewhere around 215/75R15 (I have 15" alloys) or 205/80 just to err on the cautious side.

julianrally2.jpg

This is my old freelander with 225/70 r16's on 25mm spacers.

I did 50k on a set of 215/70 R16 BFG AT's and can't fault them as a all round tyre for a freelander I sold the car with them still on and I think some are still on it.

215/70 means you can just fit you little finder between the tyre and the rear spring seat.

For bigger tyres you can fit spacers 25mm Ideally as 30mm will mean a 225/70 MTR's will rub the arches on lock when driving off road.

I did 50k on a set of 215/70 R16 BFG AT's and can't fault them as a all round tyre for a freelander I sold the car with them still on and I think some are still on it.

You think right, a pair are still on it 10k later. They have plenty of tread for road use but are probably less effective off road - frankly I don't mind that 'cos that just makes it more fun.

We also have a set of BFG ATs for the "vanilla" TD4 for occasional use.

I was having a chat with a guy from LR's club at Eastnor last year. He had put MTs on his Freelander but had been dissapointed and had changed back to ATs. He sensed that perhaps they gave a bit too much grip, bearing in mind that the Freelander come into its own when the TC kicks in on a spinning wheel. I'm not sure if his theory is correct, but he thought the ATs were a good compromise and gave the best performance.

I don't note any particular difference in road noise, handling or fuel consumption with the ATs either.

I recently went out to get a set of ATs for my 90, but at the last minute got persuaded to get a set of BFG MTs instead. I have no cpmplaints as such, but I think for my sort of use I wish I had gone for the ATs - the road noise and on road handling deteriation (not worrying, though) means I'm not so comfortable with them when going a month or so of just road use - and end up swapping them back and forwards for road tyres all the time. Which is frankly a bit of a bind.

Cheers

Blippie

Cheers guys!

Don't fancy Simex copies, if I want to go sideways I'll use the 109 thanks :P

My freebie doesn't have ETC but I suspect AT's could be a more sensible bet, the Colway AT's I had on the RR were excellent so I may go for the same again.

• 3 weeks later...

Quite (but not entirely...) related to the topic, I just replaced my Michelin Synchrone tyres (215/65 R16) which were doing their job for over 60,000 km. I have chosen to use (again) onroad tires - the Pirelli Scorpion STR M+S 98VRB, same size. Pirelli is less expensive. I have noticed a significant improvement in handling and a much lower noise level at high speed. I shall check what happens offroad (I don't expect too much anyway).

Oh, and see you at Glasto - I'll be behind the wheel of a TD5 doing the medical cover. We have proper flushing toilets and showers at the medical centre. Heheheh.

In that case if I spot you I may have to be suddenly taken ill :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i know it's an old thread but thought i would let you know what i have on my freelander.

i've just fitted a bearmach 2" lift and have 15" steel wheels with 215/75/15 bridgestone dueller MT's. so far the wear rate seems pretty good and i have no problems with the tyres contacting the suspension or anything like that. the fuel consumption does not seem to have been effected by having MT tyres, i still get about 28mpg(1.8 k series). the only complaint i have is that the bridgestones are very noisey between 40 and 60 mph but are no worse than AT's at motorway speeds. As for off road performance i will be testing them out on the LRO show off road course in a couple of weeks so will find out then.

i know it's an old thread but thought i would let you know what i have on my freelander.

i've just fitted a bearmach 2" lift and have 15" steel wheels with 215/75/15 bridgestone dueller MT's. so far the wear rate seems pretty good and i have no problems with the tyres contacting the suspension or anything like that. the fuel consumption does not seem to have been effected by having MT tyres, i still get about 28mpg(1.8 k series). the only complaint i have is that the bridgestones are very noisey between 40 and 60 mph but are no worse than AT's at motorway speeds. As for off road performance i will be testing them out on the LRO show off road course in a couple of weeks so will find out then.

here is a picture if anyone is interested

ABCD0002.jpg

post-3658-1220376743_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...