My old truck on Ebay again....

Night Train

It would seem my old 6x6 Land Rover Scammell is back on Ebay. :wub:

She is a bit of a mess really :angry: and Ashcrofts seems to have been wrongly credited for my transfer box :glare: but for £70 I'm thinking.... :unsure:

If, and it is getting to be a huge if, was to get her back I would need to sort out transport and getting it SVAed. Now the first problem is just money and maybe a mega forum relay to Manchester as I don't have a vehicle to move her, the second is a nightmare.

So here's a question: Are there any SVA experts out there who might be able to offer their thoughts on how likely it might be to become road legal again? Things were so different when she was built.

I wouldn't want her to go to scrap but there is a lot of work involved, more then she is worth if I am honest, and I am probably the only person in the known universe who knows how to sort out the transmission (and would want to!). However, if anyone else wanted a project then I could help and advise.

She could be recycled for things like the wider axles (long S3 half shafts both sides), the suspension system and maybe other unsusal bits and bobs I guess.

I am tempted to just get her back but first problem is transport. Storage isn't easy but could be sorted if I made some space. I've no funds to work on her either, new relationship, PT work and studying two courses and not a lot of suitable tooling anymore.

If it were on the doorstep then yes, I'd find space now. But if there is no chance of being road legal then I would just have an interesting garden ornament.

Tim

this has circumvented the rules on advertising(but as you didn't start the thread it will remain)

Best to now use the Private msg function on the board with the interested party.

That i why your early posts where not made visible.

you can post normally now but you can't advertise until you reach the prescribed board settings

Welcome by the way

Tim

this has circumvented the rules on advertising(but as you didn't start the thread it will remain)

Best to now use the Private msg function on the board with the interested party.

That i why your early posts where not made visible.

you can post normally now but you can't advertise until you reach the prescribed board settings

Welcome by the way

i take it thats a telling off then :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Buy it back for heaven sakes Night Train,There is obviously a lot of your own personality and character in that beast. If you don't I'm afraid one day it may end up in China and return as a washing machine or fridge!

Unfortunately after the recent bushfires the only component that survived from my old 6x6 was the middle axle through drive differential and power divider, but at least it is some memento of the enormous amount of enjoyment I once had from designing, building and using that vehicle.

Bill.

I must admit I was very, very tempted to get my truck back but looking at the condition and the extent of missing/damaged/broken parts it would be a near complete rebuild. That would be both costly and time consuming and would probably fall foul of SVA/IVA at some point. It would be easier to build a new one with better components as a starting point. It would be cheaper to buy and run a real Scammell.

I guess, also, I mourned it's loss long ago and as it was a project to get me through the grieving process after loosing my brother I also felt I shouldn't go back there.

I may build another, but just yet.

I must admit I was very, very tempted to get my truck back but looking at the condition and the extent of missing/damaged/broken parts it would be a near complete rebuild. That would be both costly and time consuming and would probably fall foul of SVA/IVA at some point. It would be easier to build a new one with better components as a starting point. It would be cheaper to buy and run a real Scammell.

I guess, also, I mourned it's loss long ago and as it was a project to get me through the grieving process after loosing my brother I also felt I shouldn't go back there.

I gave it some thought and dismissed it when building mine, but did you ever consider building a proper Scammel type rear bogie with gear or chain driven walking beams?

I believe some of the smaller 6 wheel road graders such as Fiat Allis or Galleon have geardrive bogies, but they are a bit too rare over here in breakers yards. Not too keen on chains myself but I suppose if some type of tensioner that would work in both forward and reverse could be added they would be ok for higher speeds.

Bill.

Yes I did. I have various drawings of my own take on walking beams using Land Rover gears and using chains as options.

The chains would be ok as the tensioner could be an idler wheel on both the load and return sides of the chain but mounted on a swinging pivot so that the load side of the chain would be straight whether going forwards or backwards.

I did also look at the road graders but they were a bit on the big side and the gear ratios were too low. The ratio within the walking beam would need to be 2:1 to prevent axle lift when under load so the diff ratio would need to be 2.35:1 to match a Land Rover 4.7:1 front axle. Alternatively the transfer box would need different front and real output ratios. Back in the 80's when I was designing it the availability of components and one off's was not as good as it is now. Even Ashcroft was only just getting into auto conversions then.

What like mine

scammell6407002.jpg

scammell6407006.jpg

that land rover scammel was owned by a friend of a friend over in Cockshutt just up the road from me , when he originally bought it He swapped it for a series 1 land rover but don't really think he ever did much with it :huh: