good reasons to own?

gelf

right ive had discos, defenders, RRC in the past............. the RRC is gonna get chopped so ive been looking at stuff for an everyday run around, ive found a Y reg freelander commercial with 76k on the clock localy.

Come on then sell it to me........... why should i own one?

Guest l90truck

you shouldn't i had one and it was the worst car i have ever had something went wrong with it almost every week . it got to the point where i just felt like burning it

you shouldn't i had one and it was the worst car i have ever had something went wrong with it almost every week . it got to the point where i just felt like burning it

could it be as bad as the lancia delta i had!! lol

not many people singing their praises.

If you get one for next to nothing and are willing to repair/spend a bit on it ok.

But

I'm with l90truck

biggest loss on resale of any car we have ever had spent far too long at the dealers for stupid faults

then Val crashed it, that was enough to get rid.

Seats very uncomfortable.

But it was good as a Tow car when it didn't break down

split intercooler hoses a couple of times but the HDC warning lights/brake flts water leaks/sunroof were its main bug bears.

Wifey had one from new 4 door TD4 for two or three years during which time it went back to the dealers for a new clutch master cylinder once or twice (warranty). Oher than that no mechanical probs but it did get through tyres pretty quickly. I'm not 7 foot giant but still found the driver and passenger doors hard to get in and out of but as a general non heavy duty runabout it was passable.

Personally I'd be wary of buying an older one without knowing a lot about it's background.

Contrary to most of the replies above, I love them.

We have a very late (pre facelift) '03 plate 1.8 3 door, and it is a really great little car. It's my wifes car, and she loves it. It is pretty under powered, but a commercial would have marginally less weight to cart around, but it is nice to drive, and practical.

reliabilitywise we had a broken manifold, which I welded up but that is pretty much it over the last 2 years.

Mark

We had a 1998 V Plate 2.0Xdi for over 5 years (45,000->109,000 Miles)

We loved it! It was sold as SWMBO wanted a people carrier and she now wishes she had her Hippo back.

Reliability?

Changed VCU as soon as it started playing up - 60,000 Miles

Changed an alarm sensor - 70,000 Miles

Changed starter solenoid internals - 80,000 Miles

Changed a T/C sensor - 85,000 Miles

Changed clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder assembly - 90,000 Miles

Changed both front electric window "regulators" (snapped cables, one due to SWMBO trying to open a frozen window, other due to small piece of the cable being corroded)

Broke down-pipe off turbo (my own stupid fault for not having assistance when changing the timing belt)

I don't think that list is too bad, considering the press they get.

AD90

this is a 1.8....... already had a new fitted........ and it will come for £1000......... just toying with ideas

I wouldn't buy a second-hand petrol freelander, its not worth the risk of the head gasket failing. You will just loose your money. Buy a diesel. The 2 litre L-series is bomb proof and cheap, its just slow. I have a diesel comercial freelander and its great fun.

i have one wouldn't be without bought it for work. td4 commercial 55 plate. considered 90/110 but for fuel economy went for the freebe, i have had 3 quaters for a ton of sand in the back and it pulled like a freight train. also utillity owners could only dream of the sorts of mpg a freebe will do. i fitted all terrains to it other wise standard at the mo. going laning this weekend in it, belive it or not a very capable off roader, don't knock it till you tried it! i used to hate them now totally converted. if i want mud plugger i use my S3 but for all round ability and 38+ mpg td4 freelander any day. never had or driven 1.8 but told if you get a good one then you won't go far wrong. so go for it its a land rover and don't you others forget it!

Had a 2002 TD4 from new, now got >80,000 miles on the clock and has broken down once. I think that is pretty good.

Suprisingly capable off road, assured road handling, comfortable, economic, built in Britain.

Cheers

Blippie

I bought an S reg 1.8 two years ago with a blown head gasket for £500. 55k miles,2 owners. Did all the engine mods and its been very useful ever since,has a tiny patch of rust on the top of the tailgate just under the window seal.Apart from a failed rotor arm its been 100%,its comfy,suprisingly good off road and in snow and I have no intention of replacing it.(Despite all the stick I get when I turn up at garages to do diagnostic work and own up to it having a K series in it.)

I have to agree with Ally V8, I have a Vreg 1.8 K series, did all the mods when the haed gasket went at 30,000 miles, Now at nearly 100,000 miles without a murmer!!! been totaly reliable since, several trips to France, BRILLIANT, goes through brake pads though, at an alarming rate???

Because you secretly want to be a hairdresser & like looking a bit camp? :rolleyes:

The husband of one of my staff bought one after hearing me banging on about how awesome my Defender is.

He hates it. It spends so much time in the garage, that the DVLA just send the tax reminder there now!