Defender front headlight guards

What are the best make of these to buy , I`ve looked at several but without actually seeing them fitted I find it hard to decide. We fitted a set of cheap ones to a series 3 last week and they broke on fitting hence my reservations with buying any without recomendations. Travall ones look good ??

Unfortunately some of them seem to be covered in something called Rilsan (plastic).

IMHO this is very nasty stuff as it tends to rust from the inside and then whole strips of the plasticy stuff come off.

Then when you try and clean down to bare metal, other bits of plasticy stuff remain stubbornly stuck to metal, and the grinder/flapper wheel gets clogged with said nasty plastic.

powder coated or painted every time for me...

Also ones Ive had in the past tended to wait until 13 months before the rust/plastic battle rears its nasty red head (er not that Ive anything against red/ginger hair/heads you understand)..

I`ve had experience of rilsan before . I think it`s either poor prep before coating or stone chip damage not noticed. It happened to my Disco A bar and then the rock sliders I fitted on it . the rebel ones sound well prepped in their ad but are plastic coated. I think I`ll give them a go .

My vote goes to the genuine ones, which are quite lightweight and look good.

Mo

I bought the genuine ones with my 110 20 years ago and I've had no problems with the coating, although I did replace the plastic 'P' Clips for plastic coated metal clips after a few years.

What are the best make of these to buy , I`ve looked at several but without actually seeing them fitted I find it hard to decide. We fitted a set of cheap ones to a series 3 last week and they broke on fitting hence my reservations with buying any without recomendations. Travall ones look good ??

I believe that Travall are the OEM of a lot of vehicle manufacturers 'genuine accessories', including Land Rover's -

http://www.travall.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_539

The Lamp Guards look identical and there's something familiar about the fitting instructions ;)

Land Rover's - Front_Lamp_Guards_2.pdf

Travall's - Front Lamp Guards - Travall TLG2006.pdf

Last year, I bought front and rear Lamp Guards and a Dog Guard for my Discovery II from Travall's eBay shop, they are identical to Genuine Parts and were a bit cheaper.

• 6 years later...