TD5 Cross Member replacement

The time has come for the rear x-member of my defender 90 to be changed. It is a 51 plate 2002 model.

I have noticed that the replacement TD5 x member from Paddocks does not come with legs. Is this normal?

A question to those who have done it : where did you get it and what is the opinion on quality and fit?

Are they made of something stronger than the original cheese?

Cheers

Martin

I've recently had mine rear cross member changed due to failing it's MOT. So i'm not sure where they got my new cross member from.

But i belive that the general thoughts on cross members are they are fairly flimsey and don't survive as long as the older ones (200tdi/300tdi)

I have done a search both with the new improved forum search and a google site search to no avail.

I have contacted Richards and found that they don't do just rear x-members. They have pointed me to BDS Metal Services who do apparently make them (have not yet answered the phone though!).

My biggest question relates to the extensions for the chassis rails - I know that the genuine one come without - is there something about the TD5 that means that the extensions are not generally fitted or have I just not found one that has legs.

The questions were asked as all fitting advice and x-member advice that I found was specifically for Pre-TD5 vehicles - in fact the 90 fitting guide in the tech archive does refer to TD5 x-members as being made of baked bean tins - that is unfair on the tins!

Cheers guys

Martin

I have done a search both with the new improved forum search and a google site search to no avail.

I have contacted Richards and found that they don't do just rear x-members. They have pointed me to BDS Metal Services who do apparently make them (have not yet answered the phone though!).

My biggest question relates to the extensions for the chassis rails - I know that the genuine one come without - is there something about the TD5 that means that the extensions are not generally fitted or have I just not found one that has legs.

The questions were asked as all fitting advice and x-member advice that I found was specifically for Pre-TD5 vehicles - in fact the 90 fitting guide in the tech archive does refer to TD5 x-members as being made of baked bean tins - that is unfair on the tins!

Cheers guys

Martin

Ring this man and the scales shall fall from your eyes!

http://www.mibcomponents.co.uk/

And the sister company next door fit them;

http://indigo.xilo.net/~landrove/reborn/index.php

Cheers for that slomofo.

I will ring them. I did have a look at their website - lots of winch bumpers and pre-td5 stuff but they did not appear to have a TD5 rear x-member on the website so I was looking elsewhere.

Cheers for the heads up.

• 1 month later...

Finally found one that seems to be recommended by several respected suppliers.

I cold not get through to the company who Richards recommended, but found them at Devon 4x4, from where I intend to buy my replacement.

The DBS item is more expensive that some of the others, but comes complete with all of the gubbins (hangers etc) that would have to be put back. It also comes with chassis extensions which will make the welders job easier and provides more strength if the chassis turns out to be a bit sus, It is also said to be a bit stronger that the usual tin foil, but not as strong as Devon's HD rear X member.

Devon also do a cheaper Britpart item.

Can't claim to have found it on my own. Thanks to SimonR for the heads up on Devon 4x4.

HTH others.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

I have now bought the DBS rear cross member from Devon 4x4.

I will post some pictures once I have had it fitted so that others can see what it is like.

It is being couriered direct to the chap who is fitting it for me so I will not see it unfitted.

Cheers

Martin

Martin, would be interested to see the DBS pictures.

I had a good look at the MIB one at Newbury earlier this month as mine needs doing too.

The MIB one comes with various lengths of legs, but I am planning to go for the shortest, as the chassis rails are pretty good, it's just the cross member that is rotting through....

Cheers

Mark

Hi,

My 89 110 also needs a replacement rear cross member!

Can anybody recommend a decent garage / mechanic in the surrey/west sussex area?

Cheers

I am using an outfit called Laser Motor Services at Ranmore Manor, between Dorking and East Horsley/Effingham (01483 283295). He came recommended by another local mechanic who has a lovely 90, but I cannot at this time comment on what he will do for me. As I said I will pop up some pictures of his work when it has been done.

• 1 month later...