Fuel leak on my TD5 D2

reb78

The D2 is 200 miles away with SWMBO, but i got a phone call to say that the rear door was covered in diesel. I thought it sounded classic for a diesel leak and asked her to look underneath - its wet with diesel, but since it has been driven, it seems to be everywhere. However, it runs a bit further forward on the drivers side than the passenger - does this sound like the FPR is leaking? Do they usually leak that bad?? Where else should i be looking? The sedimentor in the wheel arch at the back is fine.

The "sedimentor" you refer to on a Td5 is the main fuel filter - rear right wheelarch. Chafed or split pipe would be my guess. If she turns the ignition on and it's a significant leak, it should be dripping. May have to cycle the switch off and on a few times as the pump shuts off after about 30 sec. The regulator can leak very badly, but it doesn't usually just go, gets gradually worse, and it makes a hell of a stink on a hot engine too.

The RAC have just been out to see it. They reckon that its actually an oil leak (i can only get my other half to look and see as she's with the car in Lincolnshire and i'm in Herts!). Oil level is low as well (girlfriend checked after i posted earlier). The RAC man reckoned it could be the rear crank seal - the most annoying thing is i'm just virtually doing this job on my 110 as we speak!!

Are there any other spots for major oil leaks on the TD5?

Yes, the plastic cover on the front of the head where the cam is fitted through.

If the 'bung' comes loose engine oil will flow freely when the engine is running.

Peter.

can you post a picture of this, I cant visualise it, please

Yes, the plastic cover on the front of the head where the cam is fitted through.

If the 'bung' comes loose engine oil will flow freely when the engine is running.

Peter.

Yep, I can vouch for that. I was losing oil so just changed mine.

It was leaking badly (you can see the crud around the cover if it is leaking) and if you tap it it'll be loose!

Remove engine cover and fan/radiator cover and you'll see the black disc on the front of the engine behind the top of the fan blades. It has an o ring round the outside that flattens out and hardens over time. You'll see a grove either side of the disc to pop it out (although if it's loose enough it'll pop out easy)

New ones (from LR) are around £14.

Fitting the new one isn't "easy" as it's a lot tighter, so I covered it in oil to help it go in and gave it gentle persuasion with a large tool!!

Dave