300tdi clutch pedal

I have obtained a 300tdi-type clutch pedal complete with master cylinder and pedal box. Unfortunately the spring or springs have gone missing. Can anyone show me a picture of the complete pedal box with springs installed and if possible give me the part number of the spring?

Furthermore, what else needs to be changed? Or is it just a matter of bolting the new pedal box into place? would you suggest going for a V8 type slave cylinder? If so, do i need to change the flexible hose?

There is no return spring fitted to the 300TDI clutch pedal box, thats why people fit them to earlier 90/110's as this makes life easier changing gear as the older clutch pedal boxes make the gear change tiresome in slow traffic

John

There is no return spring fitted to the 300TDI clutch pedal box, thats why people fit them to earlier 90/110's as this makes life easier changing gear as the older clutch pedal boxes make the gear change tiresome in slow traffic

John

They have a roll over spring on them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-TD5-CLUTCH-PEDAL-ASSISTANCE-SPRING-KIT-EDP7510LKIT-/271028498616

Although i think you'll find them cheaper.

Some more questions please. Is the master cylinder fitted to the older type pedal compatible with this pedal? And what about the bolts holding the pedal box in place. What thread have they got? Are they 1/4"UNF or 8mm?

refer to the 1st parts book page for the pedal assembly here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=43688&hl=%2Bclutch+%2Bpedal

photo of how the spring sits when fitted.

from right hand side view

IMG_1086.jpg

from footwell view

IMG_1085-1.jpg

Another wee pearl of wisdom... I always wondered what those small lugs were on the bottom of the pedal box...

Cheaper springs here - http://www.lrdirect.com/EDP7510L-Double-Spring-Brake-Clutch-Pedal. I just managed to get the entire pedal box assembly for £37 Landrover original part! Well worth it seeing as the spring is £7-£10. The pedal pivot/spindle/pin on mine had seized. Figured it was probably more of a mission and expense to replace the pin, trunnion and bushes when I could just take the whole thing on and off. Replaced the master and slave cyclinder while I was at it. It's a whole new experience. I am beginning to think that the pedal had began stiffening before I purchased her so I never had the pleasure of driving a 300tdi with a normal clutch (Prior to buying this the only land rovers I had ever driven were Series vehicles).

Cheaper springs here - http://www.lrdirect.com/EDP7510L-Double-Spring-Brake-Clutch-Pedal. I just managed to get the entire pedal box assembly for £37 Landrover original part! Well worth it seeing as the spring is £7-£10. The pedal pivot/spindle/pin on mine had seized. Figured it was probably more of a mission and expense to replace the pin, trunnion and bushes when I could just take the whole thing on and off. Replaced the master and slave cyclinder while I was at it. It's a whole new experience. I am beginning to think that the pedal had began stiffening before I purchased her so I never had the pleasure of driving a 300tdi with a normal clutch (Prior to buying this the only land rovers I had ever driven were Series vehicles).

now isnt the time to say the pedal i got from billing last year cost a 10er then?

now isnt the time to say the pedal i got from billing last year cost a 10er then?

Ha ha probably not. DO you mean the pedal only or the whole box assembly (as in Part No ANR5311)? Either way I thought £37 quid for the whole assembly with the green oval on the box would have offfended my wallet more but the a tenner suggests I rshould make it to Billing this year!

Ha ha probably not. DO you mean the pedal only or the whole box assembly (as in Part No ANR5311)? Either way I thought £37 quid for the whole assembly with the green oval on the box would have offfended my wallet more but the a tenner suggests I rshould make it to Billing this year!

the whole lot, master cylinder as well!

Ha ha probably not. DO you mean the pedal only or the whole box assembly (as in Part No ANR5311)? Either way I thought £37 quid for the whole assembly with the green oval on the box would have offfended my wallet more but the a tenner suggests I rshould make it to Billing this year

Mine was AMR3400 IIRC paid £28 plus vat for it back in Apr '95. much easier to drive with & less stressful on the left leg when in slow moving traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Spring arrived and fitted to nicely painted pedal box. Just need to find a spare hour to transfer the lot onto the vehicle. next question.... bleeding. how on earth do you bleed the clutch with this type of pedal fitted? I don't think that the pedal will return to the original position by just lifting my foot off it. Spring's too strong. Do i need to pull the pedal up from the floor?

Spring arrived and fitted to nicely painted pedal box. Just need to find a spare hour to transfer the lot onto the vehicle. next question.... bleeding. how on earth do you bleed the clutch with this type of pedal fitted? I don't think that the pedal will return to the original position by just lifting my foot off it. Spring's too strong. Do i need to pull the pedal up from the floor?

Borrow a friend for a hour and you can change the pedal without removing the master cylinder with it, theres a bloody arkward bolt but its doable. Thats how i swapped mine over.

I just lift the pedal up once the bleed screw on the slave is closed. my bleed tube has a oneway valve in it to prevent air being sucked in.

Fiddly is an understatment, the spring needs compressing and its quite a strong one...

Well, I tried and failed to fit the spring in-situ - it is almost possible but not quite and after the 5th attempt I gave up!

I tried to compress the spring with nylon ratchet ties and also lengths of solder, but neither was up to the job. the problem is that as you release tension you have got to get the end of the spring securely located in the hole on the pedal and that just did not seem to happen!

In the end I decided to take the pedal out and to be honest it is not that hard a job, but there probably is a way of replacing the spring without removing the pedal!!

Fitted the pedal. What a revelation. I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. I've owned my 90 for almost 10 years and was pretty happy with the clutch pedal the way it was. However, for the past year I've been feeling a mild discomfort in my hip which got worse whenever I drove the 90 for long periods or got stuck in traffic so I boiled it down to the hard clutch pedal. Drove it for 2 hours yesterday with no pain whatsoever. It's great.