bumper paint

madmatt

I am in the process of fabbing up a new bumper for the truck it is going to be galvanised but ultimately i want it black can anyone recommend a good quality paint that can be brushed on but will last well better than hammerite. I know i'll need an etch primer for the galv prior to the black top coat.

thanks

matt

Have a look at the Silka Icosit 6630 paint. It can go straight on to new galvanized metal.

You can get it here.

http://www.promain.co.uk/product/Sika_Icosit_6630_id1630

I am using it to coat my refurbished galvanized chassis and bulkhead.

Peter

Peter

I like the look of that we use Sika products at work but its nearly as expensive as the galv lol! have you been applying it with a brush?

Mike, I think poster paint from school is better than hammerite these days! I may well investigate Granville tomorrow as they have a trade counter in Loughborough

I am using a roller and then a brush for the corners where the roller will not get into. I cleaned the chassis down with an ammonia cleaner first then de-greaser. I did quite a bit of research as what paint to use on galvanized metal and liked the look of this as you did not need to use T wash etc..

Peter

post-205-0-58720100-1363536565_thumb.jpg

You need to treat the galvanising with Mordent T wash to prepare it for any coating unless

its been in the open air for a couple of years.

It takes off the shine and primes the surface otherwise any coating just falls of.

I think even any of the galvanising specific paints will need it as its a new coating.

Gordon

Gordon

Attached an extract from the Sika paint spec which points out you don't need to do this for their paint. If you want, I can send to you the Sika® Galvanized Steel Duplex Guidelines

Technical Data Sheet

DESCRIPTION

Icosit 6630 is a low VOC, one component, high build

polyurethane alkyd coating for steel and galvanized

structures.

USES

* Duplex coating of galvanized masts, towers,

gates etc.

* Maintenance coating for bridges, towers,

masts etc.

* High build corrosion protection for pipelines etc.

* Maintenance/new coating for street furniture.

ADVANTAGES

* Low VOC.

* Very mild solvent, suitable for maintenance painting

over unknown single component paints.

* Direct site application to new hot dip galvanized

structures.

* Excellent colour retention.

* Excellent weathering properties and corrosion

protection.

* Excellent weathering properties.

* Does not require T wash or etch primer primer

when applied to new/weathered galvanized

substrates.

I phoned promain and ordered degreaser, the 6630 plus two other paints and paid £7.95 carriage before vat for all items and delivery in two days which was not bad. Phone them you will get a very different carriage price.

I phoned promain and ordered degreaser, the 6630 plus two other paints and paid £7.95 carriage before vat for all items and delivery in two days which was not bad. Phone them you will get a very different carriage price.

So did i but they still wanted 25 + over phone for carriage so i am looking at alternatives.