vnt actuator diy set up

gothbiker

i bought a secondhand vnt turbo set up, I'm having problems with the actuator, i cant seem to get it working, the vains in the turbo move, what has everybody else fitted? I've found the information for a 2.8 tgv actuator but nobody can find one for sale, I've found this picture of a set up, has anybody tried it? 

I've tried turbo technics and they weren't very helpful apart from phone bell auto services up

Boost Control.jpg

Blimey, your diagram looks complicated. I'm running a Mitsubishi VVT on a 300Tdi, I have a Td5 boost capsule with an external spring (chosen by mostly trial and error, with a little science stirred in) to counterbalance the closing force. That moves the vanes and manages the boost.

The result is great, really boosty at low revs, I see 0.8 bar at 1000rpm and 1.3bar at 1400rpm. It naturally targets full boost though so the vanes are always as closed as possible, which I think contributes to 25mpg (mine is an auto Ninety too).

The hardest part was making the manifold to hold the turbo, it's run for about five years now and it's great. I've been to Spain and Morocco with it, it's really tuneable but I've turned it down now to keep it driveable.

• 2 months later...

Bit of a hang time on this but I've been busy...

Here's some pics of my setup, homebrew manifold and the turbo from an L200. It's not pretty... Boost control is just by pressure through a Td5 diaphragm and a counter-pressure spring to reduce the pressure for first movement.

The effect is excellent pullaway performance (through an auto box) and comfortably 25mpg or better on a run.

20170312_150811.jpg