Heated Mirrors/Heated Front Screen Switch Issue

@@@

Hi

In the process of adding heated mirrors to my td5.  I decided as I wasn't going to install a heated front screen and the switch would fit in the standard dash I'd use the switch for a heated front screen (YUG000460LNF) to turn the heated mirrors on and off.

unfortunately it seems the switch will only power the mirrors when held in.  

looking at the wiring for a heated front screen it appears the switch gives a pulse to a timer relay which then energises the relay to power the screen.  Which I think leaves 3 options

1. Add a timer relay and wire it up per the standard front screen wiring
2. replace the standard relay with a latching/impulse relay
3. get a new switch body and connector from a latching type switch and swap the fascias

Any thoughts on those options, whether they will/won't work an better options?

Thanks in advance

Mark

There are loads of threads about retrofitting and wiring the heated front screen, most retrofits use the timer relay bought from VWP and carry out the internal switch mod to allow the aftermarket timer relay to work. You're doing most of the donkey work with the wiring to fit the heated mirrors  

Personally I'd fit the timer relay as it means should you go down the HFS route (maybe upgrade if the screen gets damaged) then the fiddly part is done.

You can swap the fronts on those type of switches so could get a cheaper on/off switch, one for a puma heated seat would do and is considerably cheaper.

The switches in the dash on a disco 2 are the same as well so one of those could fit the bill.

Edited by Mudmonkey