Blown engine management fuse

Steve Warman

I have an infrequent problem with a fuse that blows that leaves the engine effectively dead.

I've had the disco 1, 300tdi auto, for around 4 years and not had any issues. The first time it happened it took some searching to find out what may be involved but that was after a lift home on the back of a flatbed. The second time was today and easily remedied for now. 

The symptoms of the issue once the fuse has blown is that the starter turns over but the engine doesn't kick in and the glow plug light doesn't come on when starting. Once the fuse is replaced we;re back to normal working order.

In both occasions when this has occurred i have been accelerating up hill when all power is lost and the fuse has blown. 

Has anyone been in this situation before or would anyone know where to start looking to see what the underlying issue could be?

Thanks

Interested in your suggestion... why would the glow plug timer/relay be the cause if the failures occur while driving.  Doesn't the timer only activate at startup?  I suppose it isn't switching off then that could cause the fuse to blow?

1 hour ago, SPendrey said:

why would the glow plug timer/relay be the cause if the failures occur while driving.  

Cos you didnt say in the first post that it occurs while driving .... though it's possible to be an intermittent short within it

1 hour ago, teabag said:

Fuse 3 looks after the supply to: fuel cut shut-off solenoid, EGR control solenoid, EGR valve control module and the glow plug timer relay. So not that bad with the EGR being the primary suspect.

On non EDC modells, this one being an auto i presumed it's with EDC so F3 goes to glow plug timer and ECU cos the EGR is managed by the ECU on these

Disco '95, F3.jpg

Edited by sierrafery

I made some research on this and as i said it might be a confusion cos according to Microcat the EDC ECU p/n  ERR5985 [ 2500 cc - Diesel - TDi - EDC - Europe ] was  valid to VIN ......MA163103 which means built in '95 so it depends on the VIN of the OP's vehicle ...anyway the problem is somewhere on that path from F3 as in the diagram

Edited by sierrafery

The 1996MY D1 was in the showrooms in June1995, hence the vehicle being built in 1995 the VIN is MA. 

Just to add as I was looking to purchase a disco back then, there was few other important changes made to the 1996MY,  which continued through 1997 until changes were made again when the 1998MY D1 was introduced. 

Edited by teabag

I managed to have a look under the bonnet this morning to see if I could see anything amiss and noticed a wire that runs from the glow plug timer relay to another box near the battery.

The wire was trapped under the battery and when i managed to get it out from underneath noticed that it had been squashed and worn through 

I've taped up, for the time being, any exposed sections 

File_000.jpg

File_001.jpg

48 minutes ago, sierrafery said:

so can i spresume then that a '95 D1 is with EDC?

Not the 1995MY but a1996MY built in 1995 then yes, as alway there's two model years per year. As an example when I purchased my D1 alongside it was the 1998MY D1 both he same price, but there was a deal to be done with the outgoing model, so for me, that was £5000 off, or to be exact a load of extras and two years free servicing.

14 minutes ago, Steve Warman said:

I managed to have a look under the bonnet this morning to see if I could see anything amiss and noticed a wire that runs from the glow plug timer relay to another box near the battery.

The wire was trapped under the battery and when i managed to get it out from underneath noticed that it had been squashed and worn through 

I've taped up, for the time being, any exposed sections 

And did this fix things?