109" Roof conversion ( & cutting a big hole in it)

Bon Soir !

As I have only one 110 roof (currently in use on the vehicle) and several 109 ones, feel the need to create standing height in the 110, I consider using a 109" to use. I also have Series windscreen(s) sitting here doing nothing so that is covered. I know that the roof and windscreen will fit the 110 bulkhead and the sides.

However, I have a feeling there might be more to it than just the bolts..

1 - Could you please put up some pics if you have them from a 110 with this set up ?

2 - Series windscreen wiper arms will be needed - but do I need a Series wiper motor for a different reach ?

3 - What kit is the best to seal box section onto the roof it is bolted to ?

Thanks !

Thank you - "Tigerseal" was mentioned already to me by others but I need to find it here as in France it seems not to be sold..

As I spent a lot of time in the 110, both driving & sleeping I'd like to create some standing height without going for the full hinged roof conversion. I looked for a long time into that but apart from cost and the problems related to having a full roll cage, they make, in my eyes, not for the prettiest silhouette..

So, between the B and the D hoop of the roll cage (if you can follow me) I want to create a horizontally opening hatch. It will give me some serious standing height - so much easier when putting cloths on - and cooking space. Having a flat hatch in between the cage will make it not very obvious, well protected and allows for the use of the Hard Shell roof tent I have if need be.

The Series roof, apart from sitting here doing nothing, also has a steel gutter - hopefully adding some rigidity to the whol project.

Hope this makes sense.

Arjan, my early 110's roof also has steel gutters. I didn't think that part was any different from the Series type. I know later Defender roofs are constructed a bit differently, but they must still have a steel gutter for rigidity???

Regarding the wipers, why  not remove the central windscreen bar? Of course would need a single piece of glass cut to fit, but you could then keep the Defender wiper arms. You may need to use the shorter series wiper blades. I have not proven this concept but the logic seems good in my mind.

Thanks.

I have not seen one like that. The ribbed roof I have is getting harder to come by and as I have the space to store it with another 109 roof, I think cutting up a "plain" 109 roof makes sense in this case.

Several people have converted to a 1-piece series windscreen but with various success - the straight corners seem to have a problem with the lateral movements. Or something like that..

Don't mind the lower roofline and the central bar - the Series roof gives a lot of space over the windscreen...

I think you will need the Series wiper motor, or at least the gear wheel from one.  That said, my 109 wipers tend to over-reach once driving over 30mph, and I think that's quite common, so the shorter throw of a 110's motor wheel may save the wiper blades.  The windscreen hinges wouldn't be too hard to sort out.

Before you do the project, check the legalities.  I think it would be illegal in the UK because of the C&U regs, but might be no issue in France.

Thank you - I have to check the "wipe" the wipers make on the Hybrid - that has a Series motor &screen..

Legalities...

Hmm.... Spoke to both the MOT & insurance man and he doesn't see much difference between fitting an after-market sunroof or an after-market hatch. Neither did the DREAL - sort of VOSA / DVLA / IVA organisation. Swapping from hard top to soft top - vice versa - is also regarded as not a real issue here..

It is only when you want to go the "camper route" one runs here into a minefield..

I meant the legality of fitting the lower topped wind screen, not the roof.  It does make seeing some signage and traffic lights more difficult, which is probably the reason LR had to raise it.  But yes, I have seen a lot of folk on here and on the LandRover Camper facebook group have lots of legal difficulty over camper conversions on the classification, not mechanical issues.  Typical bureaucracy!

Yes... That is something we're looking into.

The weird Defender windscreen was caused by the need to see overhead traffic lights.

But we'll see..