OT-ish: Cleaning up contaminated diesel/heating fuel

Bowie69

Bit of an odd one, and certainly more for the diesel heads out there...

I have oil fired heating here (28sec), and the tank sprung a leak into the bund late last year, and I've just got a new base and tank fitted, all the clean oil transferred over to the new tank fine.

I now have 300+l of oil which has been sitting in the bund, which can hardly be described as clean, nor water-tight as the lid fits poorly and the rain has definitely got in there at times.

So my question is, can I just run it through a diesel fuel filter with sedimenter/separator and it will all be OK? For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/482730-KATSU-Diesel-Fuel-Filter-Water-Separator-Trap-Assy-Fits-CAV-296-/272346104024?hash=item3f6917c0d8:g:rC8AAOSwaB5XtlIn . Obviously it has to be cost effective, as 300l of oil is only around £100 at the moment.

I'm aware that the boiler is likely to care a little less about some contamination compared to say a common rail diesel engine, but I have kept my knowledge on these things comfortably numb :)

If it is basically scrap, then anyone want 300l of oil, one careful owner... can deliver.

Many thanks!

We did find you needed to clean the filter quite frequently  (can't remember what with but it does tell you on the packet). The water etc slowly blocks the filter to the point it stops working but a quick clean and away it goes again. Mind your still left with a bucket of sludge that's difficult to burn get rid of.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've now run 300 litres of dirty-ish oil through one of those funnels @miketomcat mentioned, wish I had gone for a larger one (I went for the cheapest, and therefore smallest one....) but actually for 99% of the time it was *fantastic*. I think this size is designed for mowers and weed whackers etc, so am pretty pleased as it will do for other things once I have finished with it here. I'm not sure how it really works, but something to do with a teflon coated screen, and it certainly works, *no* water was getting through at all, let alone bits.

I was syphoning stuff out of a large 200l barrel into the funnel immediately into smaller 25l barrels, which I then syphoned into the new oil tank. When syphoning the dirty stuff I just kept the hose above all the real muck at the bottom of the tank, as that would clog the funnel immediately.

I now have ~50 litres of pretty filthy stuff, from the bund, as I ran out of time on the day. I will try and clean most of this, but won't lose any sleep over it! If I can get it down to 25 litres I suspect they won't notice me depositing it at the local waste recycling centre.... perhaps not when I dump a whole trailer full of cut up plastic tank though...

I *might* have got rid of 150 litres of old engine oil at my local recycling centre and no one noticed/questioned me.

It was all in 25 litre drums

It is amazing how quickly it collects when you service all your own/families cars plus a couple of tractors my old man uses to cut the grass. My TDV8 holds nearly 10 litres!