300TDi Ticking noise

My Defender is a P plate 300TDi 90 CSW. 120,000 miles.

It has recently started to make a ticking noise when accelerating and today it has been more noticeable.

It seems to be when it comes onto boost. I can lift the throttle and it stops and then reapply and it will start again.

So I think the temperature makes it worse as some days it doesn't make the noise or is a lot less noticeable.

Trawling the net, it could be head gasket, valve top retainers, exhaust gasket, but I would of thought it would make the noise all the time if it was.

The vehicle seems to run OK otherwise.

As it seems to be temp and boost related, could it be diesel knock?

Any info gratefully received.

Its a fairly common failure and not the end of the world.

On the ones I've done I've always been able to feel the blow by putting my hand on the back of the head/block.

Even though the vac pump is only 12mths old it could be faulty, some spare parts are poor quality.

Its a case of careful listening and looking, soot on the bulkhead is  useful clue.

HTH

I chased a "tick" for a while, replaced the vacuum pump (had a spare from another vehicle anyway).  Checked tappets etc. etc.  Mine was the head gasket at the rearmost cylinder venting to atmosphere.  Just stick you hand back there and you'll feel it puffing if that's the fault.

Might be as well to check around the exhaust manifold as well.

If it is only audiable on boost, it might only be a small leak at this time.

As said before, look for signs of soot about the back of the head and manifolds. You might be able to use a soapy water solution to find small leaks, but unless the block is cold, it will evaporate very quickly.

I too had the head gasket fail between the no.4 cylinder and aft face of the block.  It only leaked on boost and working hard, and sounded like someone flicking a tightly held piece of paper.  It is a very common failure.  If you rev the engine while feeling around the back, you might feel it pulsing, but probably not.  Given the commonness of the failure, I think you can assume yours is the same and replace the gasket; it's not hard, and should take less than a day.  You'll need a torque wrench.  Do it soon, as the leaking gasses quickly erode the head.

It was head gasket. Put washing up liquid at back of head and started bubbling. Removed head and it is blowing out the back. Checked head flatness with parallel and feeler blade/dti. Head is very flat and can't measure a 0.001". Think it needs a very light min to clean to remove any imperfections.