Strange engine identification number - new member

DirkR

Hi, 

My name is Dirk, I live in Belgium, in Sint-Niklaas and recently bought a 1979? diesel series 3 Station Wagon (chassis 93933397C). I'm the 3rd owner. It only ran for 6,5 years, from mid 1980 until beginning of 1987 and sat for 30 years. The previous owner had started out on a thourough renovation but stopped after having removed the wheels, suspension, axels, seatbox , front floor, radiator and waterpump. I sort of stumbled over it and now me and my sons will give it a try.  My engine number seems a bit odd. Anybody has a clue?
Apart from that, I have many more questions to ask since I am neither a trained mechanic or body worker. Thank you for your reactions!

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

Hi Arjan,

Here are 2 pictures of the motor. For as far as  I know, it's the 2,25 liter diesel engine that is supposed to be in it. On the cast iron block there's AN 541874 visible. The number for a 3 main bearing engine. The car was first time registered june 27, 1980, but constructed for sure before end of 1979 because LR changed to VIN numbers around that time.The gearbox number is 90427267B.

Thanks, dirk

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

I think something we need to see is the 'engine number' in context. That is not just the number, but it's surroundings, enough to establish where it is on the engine.

The number you have pictured, KR1390 isn't a number format I recall seeing before, but I cannot see, from that earlier picture, what component it is stamped into.
The component appears to be alloy, if so it can't be an engine number, because the engine block is cast iron; it is only certain ancillaries that are alloy.

Regards,

I think that is the number, from the raised flat on the block under the front end of the exhaust manifold, just behind the water pump outlet.  It does look like a bizarre number, though.  Maybe it is a rebuilt unit, and the company that rebuilt it stamped their own number in after removing the original number.

Here's a picture of the context, the number is indeed on the block under the front end of the exhaust manifold, just behind the water pump outlet like Snagger writes. So it's probably a rebuilt then... Anyway, since it hasn't turned for 30 years, probably the safest thing to do is to open it up completly :(

thanks a lot!

IMG_1658.JPG