Transmission Options - 300TDI

Does anyone know what my transmission options are with a 300TDI? I know the HS2.8 has an 'ISO' bellhousing, any idea if the clutch housing on that will fit a 300 block? I'm going to be running a 300 with a BW and am looking for a smooth shifting transmission that will be more car-like than tractor like... you know, with working shift gates.. :) 

Being a bit stronger than an R380 would also be good, looking at something solid and able to handle say 200hp/300ft-lb though with a vehicle that is about 1200lbs lighter than a 90....

It should be possible to use any hs2.8 flywheel housing with a 300tdi, the differences are small. I don't know what options that brings to the table.

HS2.8 was used in South American Ford Ranger, and I think the HS2.5 was in the Merc Sprinter in the same market. No idea what transmissions were used with them.

For some reason I wrote ISO when I meant SAE bellhousing; which I presume since it is a standard it should take a lot more transmission options. I just don't have much experience with which might fit. Presumably I could also just make an adapter plate too, and another for the TC mounting which is fine.. but which transmissions would be suitable in general? 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, retropower said:

A suffix k or L r380 in good condition will handle that no problem. 

Yes, I understand that. However in this vehicle having one that is smooth shifting and hopefully a modern 6-speed would be preferable. Something where clutching to shift isn't absolutely needed for example. :)

Yes, however I do have some idea of what I'm doing. This engine will have a 4000rpm limiter, and be running in the 190-220hp range. Close ratio is what i'm looking for, final drive ratio will eventually be corrected with R&P swaps. I'm also running the D2 suspension set-up (more or less) at stock height and only running 33-34" OD tires. 

Edited by ajh