Air compressor basics

darthdicky

So I've just bought an air compressor - nothing fancy, just a 50l cheapo job like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Professional-Compressor-Electric-Cylinder/dp/B004X53F32 but second hand so even cheaper!

I want it for blowing up tyres, running an impact gun and ratchet and maybe a bit of paint spraying at some point. Idea is to buy cheap bits to begin with and then get better stuff of the things I actually end up using, so I've got a £30 Sealey box of bits like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SA33-Air-Accessory-Kit/dp/B000RA06DO/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1505762657&sr=1-1&keywords=sealey+sa33

I bought a PCL fitting which fits the left hand port, but not the right. Can anyone tell me what the right hand one is? What's the best type to use if I'm buying new ones?

In terms of maintenance, what do I need to do to it? It seems to have oil in it from what I can see in the sight glass, but I might drain that out and put fresh in as I don't know its history - I guess it's supposed to sit in the middle of the red mark? Other than that just open the valve on the bottom every now and then to get rid of any water?

Do I need an oil filter/separator from the tank? Or is this only if you add oil to the lines to lubricate tools? I won't be using it often so I'd rather just drip some oil into tools every now and then. I don't want to end up with tyres full of oil, or oil being blown over things.

For more permanent workshop lines, what's good to run along the walls?

Any other useful tips for someone new to this kit?

Richard

IMG_9259.JPG

IMG_9260.JPG

From the length of the coupling it is probably 1/4" Euro adaptor (very similar to a standard PCL but shorter)

As for what is best, that is a difficult question, really the connector with the largest bore would be best (like the PCL 100 series https://www.pclairtechnology.com/products/couplings-adaptors/genuine-pcl-couplings/100-series-adaptors/ ) for best performance.

But probably the right answer is probably the adaptor type that is mostly likely to come with the tools you buy (e.g 1/4" Euro Lidl and Aldi tend to use the 1/4" Euro adaptor - Aldi have a special on for air tools https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2017-09-24?q=%3Apopular&page=1 and Lidl have just had some air tools on offer )

I personally use standard PCL as that came with the compressor I have.

For air lines I believe on this forum that people have used standard 15mm heating copper pipe for hard lines but I have a retractable reel (as Aldi are currently selling) that covers the whole garage and more.

Oil separators/filters are to remove oil from the air as the moving parts in a compressor are usually lubricated and for applications like paint spraying or medical use it's desirable not to have oil in the air. Though I have done DIY spraying without an oil separator and it comes out OK.
May be you are thinking of auto oiler and water separators more commonly used, again for low volume use you can probably get away with direct oiling in to the tools.
I cannot really comment on if you need a water separator as the compressor design I use is quite different to the one you bought, but I find the amount of water in the air is very little.

Which brings me on to top tips:-
Drain the tank regularly to remove the water that accumulates at the bottom of the tank, this keeps the amount of water in the air low and reduces the tank rusting and reduces problems of it freezing when stored in a cold garage.
Wear Ear protection or build a sound insulated box if you are going to be using it lots (or get a Hydrovane compressor like I have) because piston compressors are noisy.

Also my favourite air tool is a finger sander ( like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neilsen-CT1075-Belt-Sander-Finger/dp/B002A4GWEW ), while you can get electric ones of these they tend to be much bulkier than the air version and this is great for sanding in tight spots.

I use PCL as it's what they use at work so I can pinch tools if I need to. Generally bigger is better for the flow rate. The pressure regulators like you have on there can be quite restrictive so it's sometimes better to have a fitting with no pressure regulator and one with. 

Your compressor is not oil free so you may get some oil in the air line but I would only put an oil / water trap on if your spray painting. A bit of oil down the line won't hurt your tools. Drain the tank of water. We have auto drains at work and the last time one failed I had 400 litres of water in the receivers so It's amazing how it builds up. 

For air line I buy 3/8" braided airline and nail it to the wall with clips like you would an electric cable. It's quick and there are no joins to leak. I think the last 30m roll I bought was about £10. I plan to put a retractable airline at the door to the garage sometime for doing the car tyres to save me having to disconnect the compressor and wheel it out. 

If your tools need lubrication but you don't want to contaminate your airlines either spray a bit of oil down the fitting from time to time or use one of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cat150-mini-in-line-oiler/?da=1&TC=GS-000210164&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgIPOBRDnARIsAHA1X3RlljBmN1yVjESgHvf0aQNJerPiXHkKlk7BBOapdWSQ8GVSYOkrpsEaAo8WEALw_wcB

They are noisy and can get hot so try have it away from you if you can.

It looks like your crankcase is overfilled with oil, and if so its something you should remedy right away as it can cause great havoc if it tries to compress the oil. When you look at the sighting glass there's three bubbles stuck in there, this often fools people to thinking the level is right, but in fact these bubbles will stay there even if were to keep filling oil in it, they don't move out of the glass unless you tilt the compressor enough so you see the oil level move. In my job I fix a lot of compressors and many has died because of overfiled oil, with people thinking its alright as they still see bubbles. And as you rightly state, it should be in the middle of the red circle :) I can't really advise you on fittings as I live in Denmark :) 

Thanks guys, that's really helpful information. Having done some looking around I think I'm going to get some good use out of this and wonder why I haven't bought one sooner!

Will check out some of the Aldi stuff and get a few fittings and hoses to join things together and start playing.

Drained about 600ml of oil out of it earlier and refilled with 300ml-ish to the middle of the red circle - doesn't bode well for its past history but it seems to work fine. Fingers crossed!

Richard

8 hours ago, darthdicky said:

Drained about 600ml of oil out of it earlier and refilled with 300ml-ish to the middle of the red circle - doesn't bode well for its past history but it seems to work fine. Fingers crossed!

Richard

Good, I wouldn't worry too much, overfilling of oil is an all or nothing scenario, if it pushes the oil over the pistons it dies completely, if it doesn't, nothing happens. So you should be good to go :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Compressors are one of those 'how did I manage without' tools, in that you'll soon find yourself doing more with it that you thought you would.

My top tip would be: If you're think aren't going to be moving any time soon, do yourself and your neighbours a favour: Build a dog house for it outside your garage.  Then run hard lines in your choice of material and fit a filter reg-set. 

Personally I've been squirrelling away lengths of copper pipe and yorkshire fittings, but there are other options.