Rev Counter - 300Tdi

Hi Folks,

1997 Defender 110 300Tdi - Installation of a rev counter into instrument dash. Essentially removing the clock and replacing with a rev counter - albeit likely to fit next to speed and shift over the fuel gauge. Thinking then of mounting a clock (rectangular old style) on the centre dash between rear wash wipe and cigarette lighter.

However, have to put this project on ice for a little while. Before I forget though, would like to have some feedback on my thoughts on how to wire this all up. 

Thinking of a piggy back blade onto the ignition switch (inline fuse) and connecting/extending the existing C914 clock connector ouput. Trying to keep as simple as possible while keeping the wiring loom as per factory.

Please see image attached. 

Thoughts?

Many Thanks,

Simon...

Tacho Schematic.jpg

Found my notes from Aug 2000 when I fitted my rev counter. 

LR part AMR5724 0 to 5000rpm

Image result for AMR5724

illumination to any existing gauge illumination wiring red/white trace] 

on rev counter

terminal 2 to 'W' terminal on alternator 

terminal + [positive] to a ignition controlled feed [plain white wire] 

terminal - [negative] to a earh point

set 3 sliders to 1 & 3 up & 2 down that should give a idle rev reading of 750 to 800rpm.

this link might help 

Be careful to keep the alternator signal wire away from the exhaust...don't ask. 

I quite like having a tach. I got a round clock and mounted it with an oil pressure gauge and the fuel gauge to the centre.

On the binnacle I have a oil temp, coolant temp, tach, speedometer (from left to right)

Good luck,

C